Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

BCM20737TAG Board - Gerbers and Schematics

BCM20737TAG Board - Gerbers and Schematics

Anonymous
Not applicable
RevisionChange DecriptionDate
1.0Initial05/22/14
1.1Added dsn file version 16.205/23/14
1.2Removed Reference to PDF Schematics [located in Hardware User Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)]12/11/14
1.3mwf_mmfae removed design files from blog and relocated them to a dedicated category here within the Documents and Downloads section of the site: WICED Smart Documents & Downloads1/16/15

Hello Community Members,

This BLOG should be used as a "guide" for creating the PCB Layout for the BCM20737 device using the BCM20737TAG Board as a reference.

The first attachments are:

1. BCM20737TAG_GERBERS_RevA.zip - The gerbers of a sample layout.
  2. BCM20737TAG_Allegro_CircuitBoard_Files.brd - Allegro circuit board file

The Schematic source will be added later

Notes:

• You can view this PCB file by downloading a FREE Allegro PCB viewer from the following link:
  • http://www.cadence.com/products/pcb/Pages/downloads.aspx

You will probably have to register on Allegro website before you can download the viewer.
  • Ensure you download this version:  "Reads designs for versions 15.x to 16.6. Requires a Windows OS"

I will include a description after this post to discuss the details and answer any questions.

Please refer to the latest documents related to the BCM20737TAG Board:

BCM20736 Product Brief

WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)

Note: mwf_mmfae moved all design files previously attached to this blog to the dedicated TAG3 Category here within the Documents and Downloads section: WICED Smart Documents & Downloads

Thanks

JT

Comments
35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4
First like received 10 sign-ins 10 questions asked

Hi JT,

We need the sch file as well.  The PCB file does us very little good without a schematic netlist.

Thank you,

JB.

35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4

Hi JT,

BCM20736TAG_Allegro_CircuitBoard_RevA.brd.zip

Did you mean to post the BCM20737TAG??

Thank You,

JB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

Sorry, posting the correct ones now.

JT

35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4

Thank You JT.

Could you please post both Schematic netlist and PCB source?

The  board I am looking for is what the hardware guide calls the "TAG3" board.

I think your internal part number is:  BCM920732TAG_032

It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 5.11.44 PM.png

Thank You,

JB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

Please check the files again.

JT

35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4

Still shows a 736 pcb file instead of a 737...

JB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, but the design files are identical.

Thanks

JT

35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4

what tools did you use for this design?

I see orCad and Allegro?  I this correct?  Which versions?

Thank You,

JB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

1. I received the files from our Broadcom design center.
  2. Are you unable to open the files?
  3. What version of Allegro are you currently using?

Please see the differences between Orcad and Allegro in the Cadence Forum:

Orcad Vs. Allegro - Cadence Community

Thanks.

JT

35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4

We are attempting to import into Altium.

Would it be possible to do this??

If you could save the DSN into a OrCAD 16.2 or earlier (say 15.x perhaps) (*.dsn) format??

If you could save the BRD into an Allegro ASCII Extract file (*.alg) format?

Thank You,

JB.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let me contact the team to see if we a can provide this for you

Thanks 

JT

MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

We are able to provide Allegro for PCB and OrCAD for schematic.

Unfortunately, the files provided are the only versions available at this time.

It appears that Altium offers some guidance for conversion from our file formats into their tool:

35_Engineering
Level 4
Level 4

Altiium's documents state that they CANNOT import the latest version of OrCAD and Allegro.  They ask the user to export OrCAD and Allegro into the file formats that I just requested. 

If I had the latest version of OrCAD and Allegro, then I would happily do this myself.  I think that saving these files to these formats will take approximately five (5) minutes.

MichaelF_56

The boards themselves are built by a partner in another time zone, not by the FAEs manning the forum. We have requested the conversion per JT's response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello johnnysax,

Some comments:

1. With Cadence Allegro it is not a matter of saving it as a version as to go to other tools you need a custom extract script that extracts the ASCII data form the binary code to then be imported into Altium
  2. Same basically goes for Cadence Capture (OrCAD)
  3. You will need these extract scripts or contact Altium and see if they can help you
  4. There is not a standard Allegro ASCII extract as you would think for the ALG format - We tried that here
  5. As mentioned the extract scripts are custom to pull data and format it a specific way depending on what tool you are trying to import into and Cadence does not write or own most of these scripts as they come from the software manufacturers you are trying to import too…
  6. As for the .dsn file, we only had the option to convert to 16.2 - Does this help?
  7. I will attach it to the this BLOG

Hope this helps.

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also confused by 20736 vs. 20737 - I thought to see something reasonable for the new 20737 board.

Are there any schematics for the boards?

How to open the *.DSN files (not possible with Allegrao Viewer)?

If I open the BCM20736TAG_Allegro_CircuitBoard_RevA.brd file - I see something but it looks a bit strange: it has a lot of single ASCII characters there, e.g. all over the places A and B, nothing really to see as a PCB, e.g. drill holes, part locations etc.
What is the right viewer for the *.BRD file?

How to start with with the BCM920737 which I have ordered?

Is there any additional set of docs and info coming soon, e.g. for the headers on eval board, how and where to provide power etc.?

Will the datasheet of the BCM20737 also be available for download?

Best regards

Torsten

MichaelF_56

The BCM20732 SOC datasheet is here: BCM20732 Data Sheet (this is virtually identical to the 20737 version that will be released soon as none of the advanced features are addressed in the datasheet)

The BCM20732S Module datasheet is here: BCM20732S Bluetooth Low Energy SiP Module Datasheet

To get started with your BCM92073X_LE_KIT, take a look at the Quick Start Guide for the new TAG board as there is a procedure in this guide on setting up your first application: WICED Smart™ Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)

The Hardware User's Guide for the board goes through the board settings and schematic: Hardware User Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello tjaekel,

We used the Allegro viewer version 16.6:

pastedImage_1.png

And we can view this?  You may have to turn on some layers

pastedImage_0.png

Hope this helps

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,

almost all docs already studied, OK, powering eval boards seams to be clear (just coin cell or USB, but not via external PSU?)

Unfortunately, I have ordered 20737 really because of the audio support. I do not find anything in docs related to audio, except in the list of abbreviations.

I think I would need latest 20737 datasheet, e.g. to understand how CAPH can be used or pin mux functionality.

Do I am right, audio is supported as ADC (audio in) and PWM (analog audio out)?
Where are the PWM pins, how to connect a Class-D amp?

No way to get S/PDIF or I2S out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I can see now and have similar view (you have also still all these B's there   😉   assuming not all layers selected).

Just to know: it is on "Display -> Color/Visibility...", it opens "Color Dialog" -> Stack-Up, Components etc., select checkboxes there.

Thank you, it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Allegro/SIP/MCM FREE Viewer 16.6 does not  read .brd files

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have installed Allegro, there are two apps/tools: "Allegro Free Physical Viewer" and "SIP and MCM Free Viewer".

The first one works, I can open *.BRD file. Just to select layers in order to see somethiong reasonable.

The other tool does not have a File Open context menu for *.BRD files.

The other tool is for other design files, e.g. SIP (IC packaging, 3D multi-die in packages, SIP = System-In- Package, MCM = Multi-Chip-Module).

For PCB files - use "Allegro Free Physical Viewer" and go to "Display" -> "Color/Visibility...", on opened window "Color Dialog" select layers, e.g. in "Stack-Up" via activating checkboxes.

MiTo_1583836
Level 5
Level 5
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi JT,

Is it possible to add the BOM file to the blog for the BCM20737TAG board?

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not in charge to do so (not the forum manager, just regular user).

MichaelF_56

We are trying to track this down now.  We have the BOM for the older 20732-based TAG 2 board, but need to verify which components changed on the TAG 3 version.

MichaelF_56

I just added the BOM for the TAG3 board/BCM92073X_LE_KIT (both PDF and XLS format).

tjaekel 79rpm nsankar j.t

MiTo_1583836
Level 5
Level 5

Very nice! Thanks a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Added

Thanks

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you updated anything?

Please update revision history if you modify something.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Revision updated on the July 25th

Thanks

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, it's my misunderstood.

I didn't know your comment for 79rpm on Aug 3rd.

So I thought something updated in Aug.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I am a newbie so this question might sound very silly to you folks....I am just wondering how I am going to program the printed 20737 board since I can't seem to see any usb ports on it (please correct me if I am wrong)? Also, Is there any way to use eagle or convert the allegro files to eagle??

Thanks a lot!

MiTo_1583836
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Tam.edric,

The USB port is on J6. The USB connection is handled via the FTDI chip. You can find more information in the document called: Wiced Smart Tag Hardware  User Manual - BCM920737TAG-03. It is stored in the SDK Eclipse environment under: Project Explorer-> WICED-Smart-SDK->Doc->920737TAG03-HWUM100-R.pdf

For your "eagle" question I let someone else respond, I don't have the answer.

MichaelF_56

Based on my understanding, Eagle cannot be used to convert Allegro PCB files to another format.  You may want to Google this on thw web to confirm.

Contributors