Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

A2DP Sink Example on CYW20706

A2DP Sink Example on CYW20706

WinstonF_61
100 likes received 100 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Overview

This blog explains the using the A2DP sink example in WICED. The I2S Configuration requirements and hardware interfacing.

Requirements

Tool: WICED Studio 6.1 or above, A2DP Source (Cell Phone), DAC/Codec Breakout or Shields, Loudspeaker or Headphones.

Programming Language: C

Associated Parts: CYW20706

Related Hardware: CYW920706WCDEVAL, CYBT-343026-EVAL

Project Description:

A2DP Sink is a ready example project in WICED Studio. It has all the necessary code written to test the functionality. It has capability to establish the connection and route the Audio Stream coming from the A2DP Source via BT to the I2S block which needs to connect to an Audio DAC / Codec to reproduce the sound on a Loudspeaker / Headphones.

Looking at the code one might see codec configuration and get confused with the I2C Codec configuration. BT Audio there are 2 codecs.

1. BT Codec - this is the codec used by the A2DP profile to compress and decompress the audio data. CYW20706 supports the 'SBC' codec.
  2. Audio Codec - This is the I2S Hardware codec that connects to the external Audio Codec device which converts the digital audio data into electrical analog signals.

The A2DP sink example is located at 'apps/snip/bt/a2dp_sink'.

I2S Interface:

Signal

Description

BLCK / PCM_CLK

Bit Clock

WS/LRC/ PCM_Sync

Word Select / Left Right Control.

DI /PCM_IN

Audio Data In

DO / PCM_OUT

Audio Data Out

The I2S is a simple full duplex serial interface, the data on the DI /DO pins is sampled at the BCLK edge. WS/LRC simply indicates if the data on DI/DO is for Left or Right channel of audio. The frequency of this signal indicates the selected Audio Sampling Rate. Refer the codec datasheets for timing diagrams, register configuration.

I2S in CYW20706:

I2S Mode: Master Mode (Codec is Slave)

Sample Rate: 44.1Khz or 48Khz (set based on the capabilities of the A2DP Source)

Data width: 16 bits for each Channel.

Bit CLK: Sample Rate * Data Width. Uses internal ACLK to generate this)

Connections:

Function

CYW920706WCDEVAL

CYBT-343026-EVAL

I2S – DI

J22 – Pin 7

J4 – Pin 2

I2S – DO

J22 – Pin 8

J4 – Pin 1

I2S – BCLK

J22 – Pin 5

J7 – Pin 2

I2S – WS / LRC

J22 – Pin 6

J4 – Pin 5

Fig1: Wiring Example CYW920706WCDEVAL1 + Adafruit MAX98357 I2S Class D Mono AMP

Notes: CYBT-343026-EVAL

The onboard User button SW3 shares a pin with WS/LRC signal. To run the code correctly 2 changes are needed.

1. 1) DIP Switch J9 should be open or in the ‘Off’ position.
  2. 2) Make sure AUDIO_MUTE_UNMUTE_ON_INTERRUPT’ is not #defined or commented. This will prevent the SW3 from being used as interrupt for Mute Unmute feature.

Choosing an I2S Codec:

Any codec that can support 16bit Audio at 44.1Kz or 48Khz sample rate will work. Audio Codec’s support configuration of the I2S parameters like Data Width, Sample rate etc. over I2C and some over SPI as well.  As an example, WM8731 by default is set up for a 24bit data, but can be changed to 16bit by modifying a register configuration of the WM8731 through the I2C / SPI control interface.

MCLK (Master clock) is another important signal. Some codecs generate this internally, other need a TTL or Crystal oscillator. The frequency for MCLK is dependent on the Audio Sample rate, refer the codec datasheet to make sure the correct frequency is provided.

Due to Pin Multiplexing limitations on the CYW920706WCDEVAL & CYBT-343026-EVAL, the I2C pins are not free when I2S is in use. A Codec with SPI interface for configuration would be needed if the default configuration does not match.

Contributors