cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Archive

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I think I tried many ways to transmit something out of the uart interface. But really I can not see anything at the output pins.

Yes I have already set up the jumpers J101 to J104 between PIN 1 and 2 and the SPI interface is also at the same pins and I got them to work as I expect. And yes because both interfaces are at the same pins of the fx3 I am using just one of them in the code.

Why is the uart not working?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi max08,

many thanks for your answer I already read about that in the datasheet and at the description of the function "CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix()" a hour ago.

At the moment I saw your answer I would have write my experince. 😉

The function description of "CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix()" in cyu3system.h also says that you can not use the SPI interface if you are using GPIF in 32 bit mode.

quote: "If the GPIF is 32bit, then SPI module cannot be used."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
danif_
Employee

Hi Lumpi6,

Please try the following to get UART to work on the FX3 DVK.

1. Connect PIN1&2 for J103 and J104.

2. In your application code, set the isDQ32Bit member of                             CyU3PIoMatrixConfig  structure to CyTrue before calling the                     CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix function.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi max08,

many thanks for your answer I already read about that in the datasheet and at the description of the function "CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix()" a hour ago.

At the moment I saw your answer I would have write my experince. 😉

The function description of "CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix()" in cyu3system.h also says that you can not use the SPI interface if you are using GPIF in 32 bit mode.

quote: "If the GPIF is 32bit, then SPI module cannot be used."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As suggested earlier, I tried to set io_cfg.isDQ32Bit = CyTrue; in cyfxflashprog.c.

The code compiles but it does not start properly - it doesn't appear in USB Control Center after programming.

I understand that the USBFlashProg example uses SPI and this conflicts with COM port on FX3 DVK board. So it seems that debugging cannot be enabled in the same way it is done in other examples:

CyU3PDebugInit (CY_U3P_LPP_SOCKET_UART_CONS, 8);

Yet the USBFlashProg example contains the following function and it is invoked:

/* Initialize the debug module with UART. */

CyU3PReturnStatus_t CyFxDebugInit (void)

Is it possible to get debugging working without hardware changes - that is with RS-232 cable connected to J38?

Regards,

Viktor

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Viktor,

Can you post your iomatrix config code here?

We'll check if there is some issue with and let you know.

-Shashank

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using your own firmware to test the UART? 

Did you try using any of the FX3 SDK examples to see if you get debug prints? If you have not yet tried with the SDK examples I would suggest add a debug print in thread_entry or application define part of code and see if you get that print.

You could also try using SDK firmware available at C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\serialif_examples\cyfxuartlpregmode

This example illustrates the use of the FX3 firmware APIs to implement  a simple UART loopback application

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem as mentionned above. Currently I cannot manage to see any message via RS-232 in terminal, and if I set the "isDQ32" to "CyTrue", the program will not even show up in the process list anymore.

How am I supposed to develop software on an embedded platform if I cannot even observe what is going on ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am running the cyfxusbspiregmode example and can't see any debug messages via UART.  If I run the cyfxbulksrcsink example, debug messages show up in my HyperTerminal screen so I know everything is connected correctly.  Do I need additional hardware to get debug messages using spi?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

you may use other MainConfig were the SPI peripheral is used. In this case UART GPIO pins are on other pins as without using spi. Essential in this case is the Config IO Matrix at the beginning. If GPIF is configured in 32bit mode, then other UART pins will be used as if not in 32 bit mode. SPI peripheral is only possible to use if GPIF is not configured in 32bit mode. See GPIO pins in FX3 datasheet for more informations.

regards

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm kind of new to FX3 debug.
Is there any ready made scanf like or even gets for quick debug ?

Thanks.

0 Likes