PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit Introduction

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This video introduces the first pioneer kit in the PSoC 6 MCU portfolio, the PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit CY8CKIT-062-BLE. It covers the many features and capabilities of the kit. and explains the out of box demo: using CapSense as a user interface to scroll and select through menu options displayed on an E-ink display. Also, there is a quick run through of the PSoC Creator project, explaining what digital and analog peripherals are used for the out of box demo.

Please feel free to ask questions and leave comments.

Thanks!

31 Replies
user_1570836
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hello,

I have a question. If I understand it correctly, in the box I'll get the eink display. How many colors does it have? White/black, or grayscale? And what is its resolution, and maximum framerate?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant say for sure but I guess it may possibly be grayscale, resolution will prolly be fairly high, framerate fairly low. I could be wrong, and probably am, but its just a guess.

I can now understand a bit more the high price of $75 for the pioneer kit if it includes a eink display. but still thats nearly 3 times the other pioneer kit price. ouch. a bit harder to justify the purchase of for me at least.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

You can find the E-ink display specs here, http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/Default.aspx?A=Search&ID=/search-results.

The model name for the display is E1271CS021. Colors supported are black/white, no support for grayscale, resolution is 264 x 176 (117 dpi), and refresh rate is 3s (typ). Also, the e-ink display comes with the Pioneer Kit. Lastly, we will be carrying out lucky draws for this kit, so follow this community, stay engaged by asking questions and leaving comments, and there is a high chance you will win one of these kits!

Thanks for the questions!

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the information, there ya go maskrtnik, the information you need

and thanks for the info iym, I planned on doing just that, this is very neat and awesome.dont have anything that I might need such a thing for yet. but something may come along. current favorite is the teensy 3.6 for some reason.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, thats more I like it.

I have already worked on a project using PSoC 4 and PRoC and now I am working on a proof of concept project using PSoC 4 but the features of PSoC 6 are more of a match but not much of processing power required. If I could get hand on one of the EV kit I can make POC design ready.

But then real problem arise, the production release date is not so known and the availability at the time of device product also matters. Sure, part should be low cost but that is not much of an issue.

I hope this releases in time along with EV kit.

daloc_1304421
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

This looks very interesting! When will the kit be available?
Are you planning on having a (cheaper) kit without the shield?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great. I can't wait for the kit to be available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

your not the only one!

Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, goosebumps!!!

Gimmi my EV kit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you all for leaving your comments and feedback!

Kit availability will be in late August, and production release for silicon will be in early October. The kit will cost around $75 dollars, including the E-ink shield board, and we do have plans for a cheaper version of a PSoC 6 kit, much like our prototyping kits for PSoC 4,​ so be on the lookout! Also, we will be carrying out lucky draws and you could win a PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit on this community, so stay engaged, leave comments, and ask questions!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been using PSoC 4 Pioneer kit since a few months now. It was my first PSoC board and I shifted most of my embedded designs from MCUs to PSoC. The only problem was wireless connectivity. But the PSoC 6 kit seems to be the best possible board for this as it offers Bluetooth 5.0 (BLE). A great device for wireless sensor networks(WSN) and the E-ink display is an addon.

A small query. Can we do some low end digital signal processing of audio signals? As it has on board digital microphone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Really looking for the launch of PSoC 6!

I have been working on PSOC Analog Coprocessor Pioneer Kit and would really like to add BLE functionality to it, so are you guys also going to introduce a BLE 5.0 based shield so that we can interface it with older PSoC kits? so that we can implement IoT based projects on that as well.

Also, can the PSoC 6 be battery operated(eg.LiPo) for remote applications?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

Yes, signal processing can be done for audio signals using the I2S or PDM-PCM converter internal to PSoC 6.

Good to hear that you converted to a PSoC MCU . So that you have the information, PSoC 4 does have a BLE enabled part, PSoC4 BLE.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We do have a PSoC 4 that has BLE enabled, the PSoC 4 BLE device. Will this meet your requirements?

Also, just to be sure, are you asking for a PSoC 6 BLE shield board that can plug into a PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I was asking about a PSoC 6 BLE shield board that I can plug into the PSoC 4 kit. It will be more helpful as the Bluetooth 5.0 brings significant changes than the 4.2 which is present in PSoC 4 BLE device, as 5.0 is 2 times faster, 4 times the range & 8 times the data throughput( so multiple devices connected simultaneously! ). That would be pretty dope!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I have the CY8CKIT-044. It doesn't have onboard BLE. But it does have other great features like the Capsense touch and proximity sensors.

Thanks for the information though.

CY8CKIT-044

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will the Pioneer kit have any onboard power profiling capabilities?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Yes, there will be power profiling capabilities, plan is to have an example project with production kits, which will be around late August to mid September.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Beside the PERVASIVE DISPLAYS

2.7" TFT EPD Panel

Model Name

E1271CS021

Can PSOC6 Pioneer kit be able to support other bigger panel like 4.41" E ink Display (E1441CS021) with some H/W modification?

Also beside those smaller than 2.7" if customer wants to interface, can the Eink library in PSOC creator support? Tks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those displays usually have really slow updates and full-screen flicker. Pervasive has drivers for doing partial updates that significantly speed up writes. Here's a video of them showing fast updates: Partial update demonstrations by Pervasive Displays - YouTube . In the comments they also mention that you can get the code if you submit a request to their webform: Pervasive: Technical Support

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same display, but working on another platform. It's a nice one, black and white, very well defined dots give a crystal clear image, despite the resolution that's no so high for the size.

I'm waiting anxious (the time, the tools, or both) to connect the e-ink to some member of the Cypress farm!

The problem is not just the low frame rate, but the unpleasant flicker produced by the refresh method, recommended by the manufacturer: you must write the negative of the current screen, then a clear image, then the negative of the new screen, and finally the new screen. This makes the screen flicker four times.

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi,

Just to confirm, this kit seems to have a PSoC6 family 62 device on it, if so, when can we expect (at least) a preliminary datasheet of this family?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carlos,

The CY8CKIT062-BLE Pioneer Kit has the PSoC 63 Connectivity device on-board. For the PSoC 62 Performance line, the datasheet will be up early-mid next week. Stay tuned!

Thanks!

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi,

Thanks for correcting my mistake, looking forward for more P6 documentation.

Thanks

Carlos

0 Likes
DaKo_463136
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

I just noticed that the kit features a selectable power supply of 3.3 V or 1.8 V. This will be great for optimizing the power consumption. There are already some Arduino shields with sensors that can be powered by 1.8 V to make the evaluation easy. Nice!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just white and black in the kit.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

the kit will be available in August and a cheaper version will be coming after that.  cost $75

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really excited about the new PSoC! Can't wait to start playing with it!

0 Likes
AsRa_264661
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 likes received

Please guys , stop supporting Arduino connectors for any new development kit. i hate arduino things..

An good programmer doesn't need Arduino. 

edba_1929351
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

There are hardware things like H bridge motor drivers, or relay drivers, snap on sensors, plug-able breadboards,  plug-gable through hole bare proto boards, even higher power radios and network drivers.   Why reinvent the wheel?

I like the form factor for prefab expansion hardware, and the PSOC software, for me its a Win + Win!

leka_3804381
Level 1
Level 1
10 questions asked 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I have been looking for the introduction video of this kit, video,this is very helpful

0 Likes