How to use CY3240 USB I2C Bridge with CY8C20180 cypress controller in order to tune capsense connected to CY8C20180

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AaSh_2852681
Level 1
Level 1

HI I am completely new to cypress device.

I am using CY8C20180 with 4 cap sense button. I am trying to access capsense bridge control panel via USB I2C bridge(CY3240). But I am not able to communicate

pastedImage_0.png

CY8C20180 slave address is 0x00.

I am trying to send below command from bridge control panel.

W 00 81 01

and I am getting below answer.

W 00- 81- 01- p

Do I need to write any psoc project in CY3240?

0 Likes
5 Replies
SrikanthD_56
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins First question asked First comment on blog

Click on the List button on the Bridge Control Panel and see if it shows the I2C slave address as 0x00.

Generally I2C commands fails when the I2C slave address is incorrect or you try to write to incorrect offset address/length of the I2C ram buffer (in case of EZI2C). In your case latter seems to be reason.

Try sending W 00 00 81 01 p and see if the command passes now.

Refer to the AN2397 - PSoC® 1 and CapSense® Controllers - CapSense Data Monitoring Tools | Cypress Semiconductor for more details on setting up I2C based tuner.

0 Likes

When I hit list button, I am not able to see any device.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

When I use beagal to see I2C Traffic, I am able to see I2C Device with slave address 0x00.

0 Likes

In that case, USB-I2C Bridge could not find any I2C slave devices on the bus. Check the hardware connection between PSoC and the I2C Bridge.

Was it working before? Also check whether you have selected the correct I2C Speed in Protocol Configuration -> I2C window (F7).

0 Likes

Yes I2C communication is working fine when I use same capsens controller as slave with address 0x00 with other PIC as master.

When I connect to CY3240 device from bridge control pannel I get below error message. Firmware is out of date. Is that reason that I am not able to see device? How can I update cy3240 firmware as this part is no longer available. 

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Well, try programming the USB-I2C Bridge firmware available in the below PSoC Programmer installation directory using a MiniProg1/MiniProg3 and see that resolves the issue.

Path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\usbtoiic.hex

If you have a MiniProg3 with you, then use it for CapSense tuning instead of CY3240. MiniProg3 supports USB-I2C bridging.

0 Likes