CyU3PMemAlloc behaving strangely

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with  CyU3PMemAlloc.  I found this thread, but there were no solutions. Basically I ask CyU3PMemAlloc for 16 bytes and it returns 4 bytes.  Let me give a little context.  So CommandOutQueue is type uint8_t**.  I first allocate sizeof(uint8_t*) (4 bytes) for CommandOutQueue, and then allocate 16 bytes for CommandOutQueue[0].  This code is slightly simplified, but it boils down to:

CommandOutQueue = CyU3PMemAlloc(sizeof(uint8_t*));

MBIMCommandOutQueue[0] = CyU3PMemAlloc(16);

CyU3PDebugPrint(4,"\n\rsizeof(CommandOutQueue[0]) = %d",i,sizeof(CommandOutQueue[0]);

Which gives

sizeof(CommanOutQueue[0]) = 4

on the debug console.

The behavior is really odd, because it doesn't return null which is the error condition.  What's also strange is that it doesn't throw a segfault when my code address outside of the 4 bytes.  I only realized there was problem when I later needed to know the size of the CommandOutQueue[0] and it returned 4 which caused a cascade of other issues.  By the way I'm confident there is at least 16 bytes left on the stack.  If anyone has faced similiar issues, how did you get around them?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nathan,

This is Madhu who is handling the Tech Support case you created regarding the same issue.

I was able to reprduce this and I am checking this with our software team. I will let you know y tomorrow via MyCases and will also reply in this forum thread.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
arasc_296896
Level 3
Level 3

Hi please provide the update in this thread. 

Thanks, 

Arun

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Arun,

There is no issue with the CyU3PMemAlloc API. The issue reported in this thread is an user error. The sizeof operator returns only the size of the pointer address which is always 4 bytes. The sizeof operator cannot be used to find out the size of allocated memery.

If CyU3PMemAlloc  does not return NULL, it means that the requested memory has been allocated.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
arasc_296896
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=167&rID=104377 

Then please clear my query in this thread. 

Thanks, 

Arun. 

0 Likes