Bluetooth Trace Tool

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The attached Bluetooth Trace tool runs on Microsoft Windows 7/8.

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody used this ? How to use it?

I get an error "Error reading BTW install folder to send tracing command".

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

It seems that it requires the user to install a copy of the widcomm software. Can you use the debug trace within the IDE for the time being?

mwf_mmfae

0 Likes
MichaelF_56

This tool works in conjunction with a BCM20702 based dongle (i.e. Plugable) and the BTW (Bletooth for Windows 7, Windows 8 includes its own stack) Bluetooth stack (available for download from the Broadcom.com site).

Here's a thread where another user suggested one use for the tool: Re: Is there a way to force advertisements onto a single channel?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, boont & Mwf_mmfae.

Looks like there was some driver issue which windows automatically downloaded, its working now.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this work on a BCM920732 or BCM20737?

0 Likes
MichaelF_56

Yes

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BTW tool from Broadcom ( WIDCOMM® Bluetooth Windows® Software) has issues finding the bluetooth dongle. This is with Windows 8. The 2 COM ports show up on Anaren's BCM20737, whereas for BCM920732, only one comes up.

Am I missing something. Is there a Quick start Guide for setting this up as a sniffer? I don't know which firmware to load, on these dongles.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used the Tool but it takes long time for connecting with the BTServer. Once startet, one must "Search for Bluetooth Devices" with the standard MS dialog. During this window is open, also BLE Advertisement Packets are displayed. But the tool reads only the trace information and displays it
according the Bluetooth Core Spec 4.2 Volume 7 Host Interface.

I have made a new approach now: I use the USB 2.0 Stick BCM20702 dongle and use USBPcap driver and USBPcapCMD to get access to the USB communication. And his works perfectly.

But I do not yet know how to "inject" a "Send Advertisement Packet Command" via the HCI interface to the USB dongle, bt I will find out this too.

Harald

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more info:

In the WICED SDK, there is the source code of a small BTSpy.EXE. But this program must start a separate Trace application and can not stop it. This program I also tried but stopped with it.

Harald

0 Likes