Very slow Debug

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

I have an issue in one project only where there are extensive debugging delays.

Each time I stop at a break point and click to RUN, it takes around 10 seconds before program runs (status remains on "Halted" for around 10 seconds. When I break, it can take 4 or 5 seconds to update the variable watch list.

I have only noticed this behaviour on this project. Up until a couple of days ago, it was working fine (like the other projects). Usually, the debugger starts almost immediately I press run. I have tried 2 different Mini-Prog 3 and same result on both.

The protocol is set to JTAG, 4MHz Clock, External power and I an using XRES same as other projects.

As I say, this was working nirmally on this same project until a day or 2 ago.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5

I found it. 

I had increased the size of the buffers and it was the refresh of the watch window slowing the system down. I had 3 buffers each that are 1000 bytes length.

I removed the watch windows and debug is normal now.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5

I found it. 

I had increased the size of the buffers and it was the refresh of the watch window slowing the system down. I had 3 buffers each that are 1000 bytes length.

I removed the watch windows and debug is normal now.

Oh, now THIS was a most helpful post.

Thank you!

0 Likes

(If only I could remember this trick...)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Did you set the debugger to display some arrays? I've made the experience that the transfer of the values can take a lot of time.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I think, you could have waited two minutes with your post

Bob

DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5