Verilog include from current directory

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Skoe
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

For a hierarchical Verilog design I'm trying to `include a file from the same directory as the current file. It works with an absolute path `include "C:\Blah\foo\bar\baz.v", but I can't `include "baz.v" to work.

Can this be done? Any setting or workaround? Unfortunately I didn't find a solution in the forum, just similar questions.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

When we add a Verilog component, PSoC Creator seems to create a new folder/directory for the component.

As I created "mysubmodle" Verilog item,  "mysubmodule" folder was created in the project folder,

just like the "component01" folder.

000-folder.JPG

So I modified the 'include line as

`include "..\mysubmodule\mysubmodule.v"

001-component01_v.JPG

Next seeing the component01.v and mysubmodule.v

I changed the module name from "one_bit_full_adder" to "mysubmodule".

002-mysubmodule_v.JPG

Then I could "Clean and Build" the project.

003-workbench.JPG

moto

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @Skoe 

Can you please provide more details about where are you trying to include the file?

Have you created a custom component and are trying to include the verilog file as a part of the component?

In case you want to include a verilog file in your project:

> Right click on the project in the Workspace explorer. 

> Click on Add > Existing item

> Navigate to the file directory and select open

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. If you could provide more information regarding the issue, I would be able to provide a more precise answer.

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes
lock attach
Skoe
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi Ekta,

thanks for your response. To demonstrate the issue I added a minimal project.

component01.v is a Verilog implementation for a component. It uses a submodule from mysubmodule.v. This works fine, but only if I use an absolute file path (see content of component01.v).

It looks like it is supported by the underlying tools, but the GUI does not provide an include path. It even does not add the other file to the exported bundle, I added it manually to the ZIP file.

Is there a way to support a hierarchical Verilog design? It would be unfavorable to be forced to draw symbols and wires when we need to instantiate submodules.

0 Likes
lock attach
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

When we add a Verilog component, PSoC Creator seems to create a new folder/directory for the component.

As I created "mysubmodle" Verilog item,  "mysubmodule" folder was created in the project folder,

just like the "component01" folder.

000-folder.JPG

So I modified the 'include line as

`include "..\mysubmodule\mysubmodule.v"

001-component01_v.JPG

Next seeing the component01.v and mysubmodule.v

I changed the module name from "one_bit_full_adder" to "mysubmodule".

002-mysubmodule_v.JPG

Then I could "Clean and Build" the project.

003-workbench.JPG

moto

Thank you, this is a really nice solution. I didn't know that it is possible to create submodules which consist of a Verilog file but no symbol.

With this solution it is also possible that I bring the whole design to work with the Icarus simulation environment, which is needed for my non-trivial project, nice!

And sorry for the last-minute copy & paste mistake with the one_bit_adder 😄