Using a (CDC) USB to I2C Bridge w/ Creator Bootloader Host?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Hi all,

I've got a question regarding the use of a CDC USB-I2C bridge with the Bootloader Host included with Creator.

Specifically, I'm using a CY7C65211-A configured for CDC I2C mode.

Bootloader Host sees this as a COM port, but a UART interface rather than I2C.

According to a thread I made a while back (AN60317: I2C Bootloader supported USB to I2C ports? ) I should be able to use this part for this purpose?

Might anyone know how to get Bootloader Host to see this device as a I2C bridge rather than a UART?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Please refer to post number 3 in AN60317: I2C Bootloader supported USB to I2C ports?

That is what we meant over here.

I think post #5 was meant for an UART CDC device i.e UART CDC device will be supported by the Bootloader application.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

The device may be in VCP mode. That is USB -I2C bridge will enumerate as CDC device (COM port in the PC).

That is why this is called virtual com port but the interface will be I2C. Please check bootloading once through bootloader host.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Ganesh,

The device is configured as follows:

pastedImage_0.png

But in Bootloader Host in creator shows UART Interface rather than I2C:

pastedImage_1.png

Shouldn't it be appearing as the Miniprog3 I2C Bridge does?

0 Likes

Hi,

What you are seeing is expected only. The bridge device you are using is not supported by default in Bootloader host. That is the reasom you are seeing it as a general COM port.

In order to use the CY7C65211-A as CDC-I2C bridge, you have to modify the Bootloader host application and include the APIs for the CY7C65211-A bridge in the application.

Please download and install the USB serial SDK provided from the link below:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/usb-serial-software-development-kit

Once it is installed please go through documentation and example codes present in the installation folder whose paths are given below:

path for documentation

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\USB-Serial SDK\documentation\Cypress USB-Serial VCP I2CSPI API Guide.pdf

Path for library

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\USB-Serial SDK\library\CyUSBSerialVCP

Path for code examples

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\USB-Serial SDK\examples\usbserialCDCdeviceExamples

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already developed a working USB-I2C bootloader using the vendor driver with this device.  My main goal here was to use this CDC I2C-USB bridge with the bootloader host in creator but I guess it's not possible.

It seems I received some conflicting info?

See this thread (Specifically Posts #4 and #5):

AN60317: I2C Bootloader supported USB to I2C ports?

I was lead to believe it would work as I was expecting with Bootloader Host.

Not a dealbreaker, just want to make sure this is expected behavior.

I'm actually working right now on converting those CDC I2C libraries for use in a managed C# .NET application.  The Vendor libraries were able to be used via Interop services with no issues, so I imagine I would be able to use the CDC libraries in the same way?

0 Likes
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Please refer to post number 3 in AN60317: I2C Bootloader supported USB to I2C ports?

That is what we meant over here.

I think post #5 was meant for an UART CDC device i.e UART CDC device will be supported by the Bootloader application.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes