Unique Die Serial Number

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

There is a recurring problem in customer base, need for a unique silicon die

ID for each chip. This is not a Device ID, as currently implemented. Something

akin to this

http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/2903?ver=E&t=al&utm_expid=50713806-2&utm_refer...

Would it be possible to implement thru programmer ? All PSOC Families ? Auto generated, say off a tax number, GPS

coordinates, or IP group number, something unique to the customer. Even a Cypress seed for those who are consultants,

the generated serial # stored in FLASH or EEPROM, and then protected as read only during programming.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Following registers would provide a unique ID for every PSoC 3 device (Refer to PSoC 3 Registers TRM):

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_Y_LOC (0xC0100) - Y coordinate in Wafer

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_X_LOC  (0xC0101) - X coordinate in Wafer

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_WAFER_NUM (0xC0102) - Wafer No

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_LOT_LSB: 0xC0103 - LOT number (LSB)

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_LOT_MSB: 0xC0104 - LOT number (MSB)

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_WRK_WK: 0xC0105 - Work Week of Manufacturing

FLSHID_CUST_TABLES_FAB_YR: 0xC0106 - Fab ID & Year of Manufacturing.

But the only drawback of this is that "Year of Manufacturing" parameter is only from 0 to 9. So a chip manufactured on 2013 and 2023 will have the same year number.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

why not come at it from another direction?

there are several manufacturers of memory products that include an inexpensive MAC address chip in the product line. This will give you an 48 bit globally unique ID. I don't want to mention names/products since that may be against forum rules.

some come as small as TO-92 and SOT-223 with differing interfaces from 1-Wire, SCIO, I2C, SPI.

pricing, in modest quantities, can be as low as 30 cents US.

google "MAC address memory chip" if you want more info.

i've used several in past products that did not have an ethernet controller. with some ethernet controller capable MCUs they come along in the product so i haven't used them in several years.

-Ed

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Dana,

Would a 10-year uniqueID be sufficient for you?

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Dana,

The PSoC uses a 'unique' silicon ID by making use of the manufacturing information at chip birth.   This silicon ID is available through a cyboot.c API call.

This ID is unique-ish.   It might repeat every 10 years since on the LS digit of the year is stored at birth.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes