USB UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hey Bob, seems like its you and me recently.

I apologise if this has been asked hundres of times but I have looked at the examples and data sheet and I did see a simple tutorial a while ago and cannot remember where I saw it.

I am wanting to use USB UART to connect my project to PC. I dropped the component on the worksheet and based a simple application based on the example in Creator (receives USB data and sends back to PC, I remobed the LCD portion).

When I plug into my PC, I see USB UART appear under ports in devices dialog with the yellow warning.

I downloaded a driver for windows and found Windows 8 dll and ran the install for the driver but still does not install the driver.

I am sure there is some obvious step I have glossed over setting up the component or installing the driver. If I can set it up as HID device then maybe I don't need to install specific driver, would be good if it uses windows standard drivers.

Thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Since my PCs are running under different windows versions I sometimes run into troubles concerning USB connections with different hardware like MiniProgs, Pioneer or PSoC3/5-kits. In that situation I use a program that uninstalls drivers connected to the PC's USB-ports: USBDeview64 from nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Actual drivers and documentation to be found here www.cypress.com/

Bob

0 Likes
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5

Bob,

Not sure if I am going blind in my old age but I cannot find a download link for the USB utility at Nirsoft. I can get to page with description, revision history etc.

Thanks

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Under System utilities you find: nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Download button is near endof page 😉

Bob

0 Likes
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 100 replies posted

Hi,

I'm also having issue with the USB driver. I have my own Vendor ID now and have modified the configuration in PSoC Creator so that our ID shows up in the .inf file. I also changed the description string in the .inf file and replaced Cypress with my company name, which I was told to do. Installing the driver from this file is very painful. When I plug in the device to the PC USB, Windows takes several minutes looking for a driver and then gives up. I use the Run hdwwiz to select the new .inf  file. The Hardware wizard goes through it's process and in the last frame, says the device might not work, citing Error Code 10. Rebooting typically fixes that.

Can someone direct to where I can learn what I need to do to load the driver the proper way?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Likes
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5

Found it, thanks Bob. It was a rather long page and I did not scroll to the very bottom.

I loaded up the example USB project from Creator and are close to have it running.

The project is compiled ok and running on my target. The Port shows up in Device Manager and when I attempt to select the driver for the port (following notes in example project) from the "generated source > Psoc5", It does correctly run the "inf" file and identifies it as Cypress driver but fails with message that it is not "digitally signed".

Can this be fixed by some setting in the project itself, or is this a matter of selecting another driver from the page you pointed me to in previous post?

Thanks again

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Don't know. Weekend is coming, time enough to give it some tries... 😉

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

@Nick

I presume that there are only few people in the same situation as you are. I would suggest you to

1st Open a new thread with meaningful headline

2nd Create a MyCase and ask Cypress (you know how to, don't you?)

Bob

0 Likes
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5

After further investigation, the solution is easy - don't use the USB port.

Initially, I wanted to use the USB port as a replacement for UART for interface (I have been using RS232 to USB converters). As I encountered the digital signature issue and investigated, I found each PSOC family has its own PID. Then I realise to use the USB commercially it will cost at least $1650 USD per year (non member pays $3500 per 2 years, members pay $5000 per year). If I was selling consumer products in mass volume this would be nothing, but I don't.

Maybe I will look at using the FTDI chip instead.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

To create a technical case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 100 replies posted

Hi,

Yeah, thanks. I have opened a case but I thought someone might be able to cut to the chase that has actually created a product that uses the USBUART component. There might be something fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing. I seem to get more comprehensive help here than on opening cases so I'll start a thread.

Nick

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If this is a canned driver problem use the drivers from the SDK kit -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes