The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
alfi_297226
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked Welcome! 5 replies posted

I built and tested a bootlaoder/bootloadable that uses the USBUART in the bootalable on a Windows 7 64 bit laptop using PSoC Creator 3.1. The code worked correctly -  bootloader runs as USB HID for 5 seconds then USBUART pops up in the Device Manager Ports list and the seria lcommands to the PSoC 5LP worked as expected.

When I tried to move the design file directory  to a second Win 7 64 bit laptop I moved the directory to the new laptop and then used the Bootlader Host to download the Bootlaodable  to PSoC 5LP that had the bootoader preinstalled. All seemed to work properly, the programming worked and the PSoC 5 now appears to runs correctly, it powers up in bootloader then transitions to the bootloadable ( I can tell this by LED state). The problem is that I can't now get Windows 7 of the new machine  to accept the proper driver , USBUART_1_cdc.inf when I point to it as described below.

I open the properties dialog of the Unknown Device entry in the Device Manager's Universal Serial Bus controllers list, choose 'Update Driver Software', choose  "Browse my computer for driver software', choose ' Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, click 'Have Disk' then I select the directory that contains USBUART_1_cdc.inf. The result is I get popup that says :

" The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I can't get past this. It seems the .inf should be fine since I was using Windows 7 64 bit machine when I generated the design files in PSoC Creator 3.1 on the other machine and everything worked fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I am stuck.

-Alan

0 Likes
6 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You used the latest drivers -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=83110     USB SDK Drivers

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
alfi_297226
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked Welcome! 5 replies posted

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the driver installer and using the Device Manager I can get Windows to start installing a driver from the bin\win7\x64 directory. But no matter which driver I choose, wiodows finds something different objectionable with it  and doesn't install it after all. There are 5 .INF files in there, do you know which one is supposed to work for a PSoC USBUART Component?

Do you know what people are supposed to do if they want to plug a PSoC running a USBUART interface into a new computer? It seems I should have had no problem with the known good driver that was generated in the project folder since the project was built using the same 64bit OS as the new computer. This seems more a Windows 7 problem than a PSoC problem. But still, I suppose the smarter thing would be to run the latest driver installer as you recommended on the new computer before plugging in the PSoC to it. Is that what Cypress recommends?

Thanks 

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Consider filing a CASE on this, possibly Cypress can do a remote desktop

session with you and straighten this out.

To create a technical or issue case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same error message and the same question with the downloaded USB driver, which one to use?  I also had trouble installing them until I switched the voltage jumper on the board, now I can install them, but I can't find one that creates a virtual com port with the USB-UART example.  ---update, the USB to UART adapter doesn't work, it installs fine but doesn't create a com port.  The first one, the enumerator created a COM port, but as soon as it did it locked up my computer, windows7, now I will probably have to do a system restore do get rid of the driver.  Using a PSoC 5LP Kit.   

--Update 5/01/15 - I opened a case on this problem and my solution was simple.  I am using a kit that uses seperate USB ports for programming and communication.  It turned out that my generated driver works great, it just has to be installed for the communication port, not the programming port--  Also Voltage jumpers on a different setting then the USBFS device is set for will lock up the computer.  I did have to use system restore a few times, but I found out in Device Manager you can view hidden devices, by choosing that option under the view menu.  This shows the device so it can be deleted.  --

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is a (free) software from nirsoft.net named USBDeView64 to remove and de-install USB drivers. Worked for me like a charm.

Bob

0 Likes