The Forum Website

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This is a bit off-topic, but the amount of double posts (with identical time-stamps) is a bit annoying! I already wrote some (!) emails to the site-admins (yes, I got a response back) but: nothing happens.

I am not the only one begging for an edit/delete feature of our own posts!

I am not the only one having troubles with this editor (using smileys hangs the editor, pasting text mis-orders the text, etc).

And I'm sure there are some other guys having problems here as well.

Bob

0 Likes
29 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, an "Edit Post " button is a must have, it is a standard feature in most forums. Of course there might be some members who just want to increase their post count. But it happens that sometimes we forget to include something or just want to add something a couple of minutes later and that is when the edit post feature is useful preventing double posting. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with both of you

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, an Edit feature is good.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello,

i want to generate a sigal TTL with a delay (retard) from an exteral trigger , can you help me please

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

If you have new questions, please start a new thread, instead of replying to an totally unrelated one.

After that, look at the Timer component.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you want to genrate ttl wave refer to guide that comes with psoc or go to thread

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2232&rID=56350

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

@sachinbvp

as hli stated: this is the wrong thread to post or answer questions like Halim's. All others interested in the thread's headline will feel a bit fooled stumbling over those posts. No offend, but a little bit more discipline, please.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Well, and to put some more on the forum-software-whish-list:

I'd like to see the complete thread when I post a reply. The usernames are so cryptic sometimes and the matter is really complicated, so I have rather often go back having a look at prior post in the actual thread. Only choice for me is to open another explorer window and navigate to my current thread and then swich between the two windows.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly! ..Things get so exasperating sometimes with this darned interface and all.

Why didnt they just integrate phpBB or similar packages? .. Seems theyve coded a forum system from scratch,to poor effect,imho.

Attachments rarely attach,you cant delete/edit posts,the hyperlinking is crap.I mean,come on guys.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Kmmankad, you do not know how much you stuck your finger into the wound!

I think it was Jim who explained to me that this forum-software was indeed hand-coded by or in behalf of Cypress!

I belive right now they've put so much effort in this that it seeminly (for Cypress) is too expensive to dump it and use something ready-to-go-out-of-the box though this decision has to be made.

Astonishingly there is a second forum run by cypress (yes, some of you guys have seen that ether) which has just 1/10th of the members you find here,  obviously running with a professional sw. and it is much more comfortable though there are some minor bugs to find as well.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another forum? Can you give me a linke? Tks

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tks Bob, I used to visit there and didn't know it is run by Cypress.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

One thing I do to help with answering threads is to click with the middle mouse button on 'post reply' (ctrl-click also works - I'm using Firefox). This opens the reply form in a new tab. But I also wish I could see the thread i'm answering to directly.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Now I've got another issue with the forum website.

When I stay connected the latest posts are not shown. When I logout, which is a bit difficult due to last website-changes, and login again the latest posts are shown. When i follow those into the thread and go back again, they are not shown on the list of posts any more. Weired! Can this be corrected asap?

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I have not seen this behavior. Maybe you can try to remove all cookies? (Which browser do you use?)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

My browser is ie9 (win7) and I did remove cookies already, helps for just a short time. I know perfectly, when I have33 posted this, I can see it in the thread, but when I click on the very top of the page on "Cypress Developer Community" my last post is not shown.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, behaveour is exactly as I said.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to mention that the formatting gets stripped when you publish your well formatted post. PATHETIC.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

@bob: the community overview page is always lagging behind (as is the start page of Cypress, the last forum post shown there is even older most times). It might be that it is created by a regularly job, but it surely isn't created on the fly.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Now I start to feel fenced-out with the forum website!

I posted a new thread at about 13:00h my local time (UTC+1) and it was entered into the forum as 1 AM PST so right AFTER all the other posts I already have seen. So nobody could see my post!!!! If this is ongoing why should I contribute here any longer?? WEBMASTERS !!! DO YOUR JOB!! Cypress is paying you for doing that! And this forum that does not run perfectly to the nearest is an essential source of help and information for Cypress's customers, those people who indirectly pay you.

When you cannot track all the issues with this forum-website then open up a new forum and collect all the issues we have, we wil volunteerly support you with all the necessary informations to get that fixed but do it asap.

Not in a good mood after this drawback

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob, buddy, I'm there with you man. I cannot post from my Win 7 machine because for whatever reason, every time I post, it logs me out. Sometimes the post gets through, sometimes it doesn't.

But speaking of webmasters, did you all notice last week that the https Verisign certificate expired and wasn't renewed for a little over a day? I actually managed to get a call through directly to the webmaster and he suggested I just go ahead and click through all the IE warnings. I was thinking...seriously, did this dude just suggest that to me? Yeah, sure, I'm gonna open myself up to a phishing attack. This guy's excuse was that he wasn't notified of the certificate expiry...well, isn't that kind of thing biannual and sort of a primary webmaster responsibility? Who did he think was going to tell him?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Just to substantiate the desolate shape the forum is in:

Here are two screenshots, I just entered the forum and got the overview what recently was posted. The red clock on the right-hand side shows San Jose current time, have a look at the time shown at the time of the upmost post from Dana.

In the second screenshot I opened the tread and you see that there was an answer already some (!) hours ago that noone can see when entering the forum as usual. 

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Here's the second, looks like I may only attach one single file

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

... and here a third, just a bit more than half an hour later...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Here I've got a complain that is not in the responsibility of webmaster but has to be solved by him/her:

Recently the PSoC-forums were used to display political ads by someone who identified himself as a new member. Since the same post was made in a handful of subforums the overview page got corrupted and the five lowest threads became shifted out and so was the thread overview.

Yes, with freedom comes responsibility, but if those posters mis-use this freedom i think it has to be curtailed a bit.

What's about

Only one post allowed before the email-address is verifyed / post is checked by moderator

No new threads allowed to be created when not at least two other threads have been red

Additionally it would be fine to have those threads deleted by a moderator asap.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is possible to blcok the IP address.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Well, here in Germany it is quite common that you get a different IP address every night at 00:00.

But even that blocking will not help against those guys which first register and then drop 4-5 new threads nobody wants to read.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Recently (3 weeks ago) I made a complain about the poor support the forum-software offers us members and the result was a phone-conference with some of the responsible employees. Was a good talk, I tried to press my point in a small paper I sent out beforehand (See attachment).

It was agreed (promised) to install at first a forum entry to give us users a point where we can report errors to.

Cypress's whish-list of changes for the forum was rather extensive and imho looked more than a five-year-plan than a list of changes due.

Now a couple of weeks have passed and nothing did happen!

So I'm trying again to move something.

@Cypress: What would it cost if EVERY post would be a technical case that you, Cypress, had to answer. What would be the additional price of answering the same questions all over again since no user will know about the cases of another member.

Some of the queries to the forum are coming from newbees, students and hobbyists, truly not THE Cypress-customers for today, but for tomorrow? Well, when you listen to them, understand them and when you can solve their problems they might turn out to be your followers tomorrow.

Now: What are those continous costs compared to the efford to change the forum-software permanently (once)? You may tell that, I cannot.

Again: the forum website and its ease of use is Cypress's business-card! Here all PSoC users (and more!) are at  the gates of Cypress World, and the hinges are creaking.

Bob

0 Likes