Starting with USBFS vs USBUART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am creating a new USB peripheral that will essentially be a USB HID during normal operation, but, I want to run a FreeRTOS CLI on a virtual COM port as well.  Is there a reason why I should pick one USB starting point over the other?  If it matters, this will be a PSOC 5 project but I imagine other families would have the same question so I'm putting it in the more general software area.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

1) Are there any limitations associated with using one component? Specifically doors the CDC version limit what other endpoints can be added?

CDC device class is designed as per the USB specification. The CDC Interfaces available in the PSoC Creator is based on that. This cannot be modified. You can add extra interfaces to existing CDC device class as mentioned in KBA.

The only limitation would be the number of endpoints. The PSoC USB has only 8 endpoints.

Thanks,

Hima

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I want a composite device.  I'm just wondering if one starting point is better than another.

0 Likes

What is meant by "if one starting point is better than another".Please elaborate the requirement

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Are there any limitations associated with using one component? Specifically doors the CDC version limit what other endpoints can be added?

2) When I upgrade from creator 4.1 to 4.2 (or any other upgrade) will perhaps the updated CDC overwrite some of my added (or altered) configuration? Which component would be more affected by upgrade overwriting?

3) Does anyone know if Windows (or any other OS) have quirks about composite devices that would make a device designer want to choose one starting point over another?

Basically ,I am cautious or suspicious depending on your viewpoint. If, as the documentation claims, the different components are all the same USBFS with some default descriptors why do different components symbols appear in the top level design? Why does the top level design not have the same component if only the descriptors are different?

0 Likes

Hi,

CDC device class is designed as per the USB specification. The CDC Interfaces available in the PSoC Creator is based on that. This cannot be modified. You can add extra interfaces to existing CDC device class as mentioned in KBA.

The only limitation would be the number of endpoints. The PSoC USB has only 8 endpoints.

Thanks,

Hima

Hi,

2) When I upgrade from creator 4.1 to 4.2 (or any other upgrade) will perhaps the updated CDC overwrite some of my added (or altered) configuration? Which component would be more affected by upgrade overwriting?

2) With the upgrade the Component .c ang .h files associated with the newer version may get updated in the Generated source, but there will be no change or overwriting in the user's code