Silicon generated serial number

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading the data sheet for the USBFS component suggests that the PSoC Creator will eventually have a feature for supplying the USB device serial number with a "Silicon Generated Serial Number." I understand from the PSoC Creator errata that this feature is not yet implemented.

Does that mean that the PSoC hardware includes some sort of read-only unique-per-chip serial number? If so, could you briefly describe how to access it? I have need of such a serial number and was considering adding another chip to my design which functions as a silicon serial number (a DS2401), but obviously I would prefer not to do that if there is already such a number available somewhere.

A quick search of the PSoC 3/5 Registers TRM (for the word "serial") didn't turn up anything, but it's an 1800 page document.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doug,

could you point me to the specific document  and paragraph that triggered this post?

Currently there is no silicon generated serial number in a PSoC device. Have you considered to use a company-wide pool of serial numbers that have to be requested at time of programming and then program the serial number in the NV-memory on the PSoC?

I am aware that it is more convenient to get a unique number to begin with, not having to care about the logistics behind it but we are not able to offer this feature.

BR, Robert

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I was wondering how you planned to do it...

Here's a screenshot of the PSoC Creator dialog for configuring the USBFS component: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/dialogr.png/

See also page 11 of the datasheet for the USBFS component version 1.60

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doug,

Thank you for the reference, I did some digging too. What I learned is that there is indeed a serial number in the chip but under some circumstances it could re-appear in another device. There is a roll-over mechanism.

I forwarded your question and will keep you posted if such a feature becomes available (fully documented).

Robert

0 Likes