PSOC Creator support for CY8C6245

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I tried creating a project for the CY8C6245 processor on PSOC Creator 4.4.

It is not in the list of allowable processors.  The PSOC 62 processor version  246 and 247 parts are there, but not the 245.

What can I download to support the CY8C6245 on PSOC Creator?

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @WaMa_286156 ,

This part is not supported on PSoC Creator. You need to develop your application using ModusToolbox. You can install it here

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @WaMa_286156 ,

This part is not supported on PSoC Creator. You need to develop your application using ModusToolbox. You can install it here

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Djeeraj,

Unfortunately, that was not a good answer.  Is PSOC Creator at end of life?

Since Modus Toolbox does not support parts before PSOC 6, does that mean that previous PSOC parts are at End Of Life?

We will need to do a lifetime buy if that is the case.   

Thanks!

0 Likes

No PSoC Creator is not EoL. It still remains a fully supported IDE. Most of the PSoC6 and some PSoC4 devices will only be supported in ModusToolbox. PSoC Creator can be used for all other supported parts. 

Please refer to the device datasheet section Supported Ecosystems to understand the IDE to be used for developing the application for your particular device. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

WaMa,

Some PSoC6 parts are supported in Creator.   These are PSoC6 parts that have UDBs.   UDBs at this time can only be configured in Creator.

PSoC3, PSoC5 and many PSOC4 parts are only supported in Creator.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, I finally figured that out.  It was not obvious to me in any of the literature until I finally realized what I was *not* reading. 

These parts are NOT PSOC (Programmable System On Chip) devices.  They are Configurable On Chip devices.  Much like Atmel.  Much like Microchip.  Very much like the rest of the crowd.  However, they do have routable outputs, which is still a leg up for a Configurable On Chip device.  

It is true that some of the newer PSOC parts do not have UDB's in them.  (Maybe that part of the die failed and was cut out.)  

It is my opinion, and others are free to disagree with me, that the ModusToolbox is a nightmare.  Like Quigley, I don't have any use for it.  One reason for that attitude is the experiences I have had with Eclipse.  Enough said.

Every PSOC has a different number of UDB's, so the number can be set to 0 for these neutered parts, and they can be supported in PSOC Creator.  It may take some work, but it will be worth it for Infineon, because it will advertise the better parts as people deal with and program these "Pi 0" style of parts.

WaMa,

I suspect that the reason to switch from Creator to a simpler IDE was to cut cost on the software development. I liked Creator's similarity to a LabView, which was fun and easy to use. For commercial mass production this probably is not important, but for makers's community it is. Last couple of years I see dramatic decline in PSoC forum's activity, which reflects PSoC's demise in the makers's community. PSoC slowly becomes a proprietary microcontroller, similar to the venerable Rabbit Semiconductor. There are probably economic reasons, driven by the market pressure, which doesn't matter for me as a hobbyist. 

/odissey1

0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5

I am in the process of creating a Ramps 1v4 compatible board that hosts a CY8CKit-059.  I am also writing a 3d printer code set for it, which is gpl, and uses FreeRTOS.  Unfortunately, I have to write it because I need to be able to license some of the code to others.  I am *not* using any gpl code in it. Everything is what I wrote, or if not, it is MIT, BSD, or Apache license.

You can follow the progress at socmaker.com.  Hopefully soon, I will have tested enough to do the first release of the board and printer code.

Ramps 1v4 boards can be found on amazon fully loaded for around $8.  So a printer can be driven by a PSOC at about the same price as atmel boards.