PSOC Creator freezing on pressing debug button

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RuGl_1600761
Employee
Employee
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

I used Psoc creator 4.3 for a log time with out getting such a issue. Since some days the creator freezes when trying to start debug. I updated to version 4.4 but the issue still exists. Psoc creator freezes for about 120 sec and  then continue, windows give a sound. Today each debug start suffer from this delay.

WIN 10, MINIProg4, only 20GB free SSD space left.

What can I do to get rid of this pause?

rgl
0 Likes
1 Solution

RuGl,

I'm not aware of a debugger log file.

You said you were using a MiniProg4.  The next step is to determine if the slowness issue is linked to the MiniProg4 or in general with the Creator 4.3 or higher.

I'm using Creator 4.3 and have no debugging slowness issue except for those I know will slow the debugger response like large memory monitor windows.

Experiment #1 - Try a different programmer debugger

Do you have one of the Cypress kits/eval boards?  If so, it has a KitProgx programmer debugger.  If the debugging slowness is still present, we'd have to look at possibly reinstalling Creator or installing an earlier version of Creator.  If debugging is much faster, it is a problem with the MiniProg4 HW or it's configuration in Creator.

Experiment #2 - Use a known working example program

The example programs for Infineon use minimal debugger settings.  This will help to determine if something went 'wonky' with the project's settings.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

RuGl,

When you are debugging, are you displaying a Memory window or a watch array variable with many elements?

Displaying either of these listed above, the SWD interface is trying to update this information but it takes time.   I receive similar delays.

Len
0 Likes
RuGl_1600761
Employee
Employee

no display of memory or anything else........ I just got an error message "stopped working..."and psoc creator closes...so I had to start psoc creator again.

rgl
0 Likes

RuGl,

Occasionally when I change the project code and rebuild and launch to the Debugger, acquiring the PSoC fails.  A "Debugging without Programming" usually allows me to reacquire the Debugger SWD in the PSoC successfully.

Since you said "I used Psoc creator 4.3 for a log time with out getting such a issue." I'm assuming something changed on your system.

Can you launch into previously working program without issue?  If you don't have a previous project handy, you can load an example project and try debugging it.

The goal is to determine if the issue is in the project configuration or if it is a problem with the Creator module not installed properly.

Len
0 Likes
RuGl_1600761
Employee
Employee

No chance... no previous working program... the problem just come with V4.3 and after update to V4.4 is does not vanish. Even when I press reset in the debugger view this 120s pause will take place... It is really bad.. I can hardly work on my code.

rgl
0 Likes

is there a log file available that could be checked ?

rgl
0 Likes

RuGl,

I'm not aware of a debugger log file.

You said you were using a MiniProg4.  The next step is to determine if the slowness issue is linked to the MiniProg4 or in general with the Creator 4.3 or higher.

I'm using Creator 4.3 and have no debugging slowness issue except for those I know will slow the debugger response like large memory monitor windows.

Experiment #1 - Try a different programmer debugger

Do you have one of the Cypress kits/eval boards?  If so, it has a KitProgx programmer debugger.  If the debugging slowness is still present, we'd have to look at possibly reinstalling Creator or installing an earlier version of Creator.  If debugging is much faster, it is a problem with the MiniProg4 HW or it's configuration in Creator.

Experiment #2 - Use a known working example program

The example programs for Infineon use minimal debugger settings.  This will help to determine if something went 'wonky' with the project's settings.

Len
0 Likes