PSOC Board update service

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I have 1 CY8CKIT-050  and 2 CY8CKIT-030 boards, all no longer CPU supported

by Creator. Do you folks have a service that can update CPU on the board to

latest rev for a fee ?

Tossing these boards would be a sin and an act against engineering humanity 🙂

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Dana,

Creator has a programming host built in.   If you can locate the version of Creator that can handle that silicon you don't need the stand-alone PSoC Programmer.  Besides, you need Creator to generate a application project that you want to load into the now "not longer supported" IC.

You're best change of getting either kit to work is to work with Infineon to determine which version of Creator to use to program these ICs.

As you indicated, you don't have the budget for wasted HW and this includes a cheap laptop.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Dana,

in the engineering humanity world, the kits would go either into the museum (garage wall), an antiquity store (eBay) or the incubarium (storage unit).

I gave second life to few discontinued PSoC kits through eBay. Surprisingly, they are in demand.

/odissey1

0 Likes
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

Currently, we don't have a support to replace the parts. Kindly, order latest parts from the Cypress and replace the old parts with the latest parts.

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

My budget does not allow me to invest in $ 100 boards and have to throw them away.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Dana,

I make my own prototyping kits using KIT-059 for about $10.

PXL_20210416_165922330 (1280x960).jpg

0 Likes

I too use the 059, but there are times I need the more complete board.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Am I misunderstanding something?  The CY8CKIT-050 I have uses a CY8C5868AXI-LP035, which is an MCU still very much supported in PSoC Creator (Unless support has been removed in v4.4 and I'm just not aware?  I don't know why this would be the case). 

This specific kit may not be in production anymore but you can absolutely still do prototyping on it.  You can even still find them on 3rd party distributors as well (Digi-Key and Mouser both have stock).

Shame if these kits aren't in production anymore though.  The 050 is my go-to for prototyping thanks to the easy to access I/O and breadboard space.

0 Likes

The early 050 boards had engineering silicon on them, which has been dropped from

the device selector in Creator and programmer facilities.

050 board still in production as far as I know.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Dana,

The older engineering Silicon on the 050 board must have worked with an earlier version of Creator.

Since you can have multiple releases of Creator on your system, you can reinstall an older version that worked with this silicon.

Then you can find or create a usable project to load into it.  An example is a multimeter-type program that can read an analog input and display the value.

Once programmed you can dedicate this eval board solely for that purpose.

Another common thing I do is to use older eval boards as stimulus for the target eval board design I'm working on.

I realize that the older board is not capable of using the advantages of the later Creator components.  Trying to "make lemons into lemonade".

Len
0 Likes

Small issue, system only wants one version of programmer installed,

so one really has to run two systems or a virtual system so that the

two installations do not "see" each other in the hive (Windows).

I even looked at the catalog device files to see if I could hack into the

system the old parts, no luck.

One would think Cypress has a service that does small board runs for it, a cost

effective service, that could be offered to handle what is a simple problem if

one has the equipment.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Dana,

If a older version of Creator works, why do you need Programmer?

Len
0 Likes

I worked my way back thru Creator versions, and the ES silicon

was not in the catalog to select. I dont know if the other versions

over wrote that catalog, I assume they do. Maybe my mistake is

not taking off all versions and dedicate a machine to run an old version.

Maybe buy a $ 500 laptop for this, or just get the part replaced on the board

for ....say $ 50. For what I think is a 10 minute job.....not a solder expert here 🙂

Programmer used to program part.....called by creator to program part (I think),

not sure I follow your question.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Dana,

Creator has a programming host built in.   If you can locate the version of Creator that can handle that silicon you don't need the stand-alone PSoC Programmer.  Besides, you need Creator to generate a application project that you want to load into the now "not longer supported" IC.

You're best change of getting either kit to work is to work with Infineon to determine which version of Creator to use to program these ICs.

As you indicated, you don't have the budget for wasted HW and this includes a cheap laptop.

Len
0 Likes

Hello ETRO.

On 1 old 050 kit, I removed the 5568 PSoC and attached a KIT-059 to the I/O connectors (port-pin for port-pin alignment).  That way, I could use all the onboard 050 peripherals as if it was an up-to-date 5LP 050 kit.

As for my other old 050 kit, I use Creator (either version 1 or 2, I'll have to check which one it is).  So, I don't know why you can't find the device in selector list.

Several years ago, maybe around 2014, Cypress had a limited time offer to upgrade the old 050 kit with the new 050 5LP based kit.  If you missed out, you missed out.

0 Likes