New to creator, have questions!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Recently discovered PSoC, like a Pi for grownups. As a professional programmer used to Visual Studio I find Creator strangely familiar yet at the same time lacking some essential features, or at least I can't find them.

Top of the list is source control integration (SVN, Vault, VSS, etc). I could wrap my Creator project with a Visual Studio solution and do it that way, but I am astonished there is no inbuilt revision control.

There is no document format. In Visual Studio I can press a key combination and have my file tidied up and formatted. Where is it in Creator?

Dragging components around sometimes gives a rubber banding error, but sometimes it just breaks all the connections, on screen at least. Sometimes it works. This seems like an alarming and glaring bug, is there a fix in the works?

Is there a concept of a profiler? If I want to check how well/efficiently my code is running, how do I do this?

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, I found the support section of the website to be less than clear.

Mark

0 Likes
4 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Top of the list is source control integration (SVN, Vault, VSS, etc). I could wrap my Creator project with a Visual Studio solution and do it that way, but I am astonished there is no inbuilt revision control.

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2492&rID=49734     Not a formal approach, but basic way to do it.

http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=76644

There is no document format. In Visual Studio I can press a key combination and have my file tidied up and formatted. Where is it in Creator?

None.

Dragging components around sometimes gives a rubber banding error, but sometimes it just breaks all the connections, on screen at least. Sometimes it works. This seems like an alarming and glaring bug, is there a fix in the works?

Which version are you using of Creator, should be 3.0, from the 2.1 release notes below.

Is there a concept of a profiler? If I want to check how well/efficiently my code is running, how do I do this?

There are 3'rd party profilers avaiable for GCC and Keil. There is basic info in the results tab of workspace explorer.

Not a "full up" profiler however. For GCC gprof.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Paste did not work, see attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs

Rubber banding is usually broken when moved object is rotated.

There is a function in Creator under the "File"-menu named "Create Workspace Bundle" that allows to create instantly a snapshot of the current project.

PSoCs are different from most embedded solutions: There is a pool of hardware primitives that can be connected to form complex cicuits, so the performing of the CPU (code) often is of lower interest than the performing of the hardware. As a professional programmer you are I would like to point you to Verilog as a hardware definition language you may use to describe your functions within the PSoC.

And as a last secret: There are 24 programmable ALUs with registers, FIFOs, PLDs and more which you can access. Many of the components have been desinged that way.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

There are many videos here, sort by date and Creator, and start with the

earlier ones for the basics.

http://video.cypress.com/video-library/video/PSoC-Software

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes