Is there a tool like arduino's serial monitor for PSoC Creator?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EfAv_4380776
Level 1
Level 1

I want to debug the data i'm receiving on my serial port and I'd like to graph it. Is there a default tool to achieve that ?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

EfAv,

You can use freeware software SerialPlot and corresponding custom component to output graphs and to communicate with PSoC

SerialPlot: interface to real-time data charts

The SerialPlot s/w also allows sending ASCII control commands back to PSoC, like the Terminal, but you have to implement capture and processing yourself.

/odissey1

SerialPlot_basic_01a_B.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

There is no serial terminal embed in the PSoC Creator like Arduino. However if you are using a development kit from Cypress, the kit contains Kitprog which can be used as I2C-USB, UART-USB bridge and you can view your data in serial terminals like Tera term. I am attaching a document to configure the UART to enable printing.

You have to configure the UART as mentioned in the document attached. After that you have to assign the UART/I2C pins of PSOC to the Kitprog's I2C/UART pins (please see backside of your development kit for this information).

For more information, please refer the following PSoC 101 video from youtube.

Cypress Academy: PSoC 101- Lesson 12: UART - YouTube

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Ganesh

Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

EfAv,

As Ganesh indicated many of the "freely" available terminal programs for the PC are very usable.

If you want, I have provided a Visual Studio project in C# of a terminal program.

You can build the program yourself and, if so inclined, you can modify it to your own specific needs.

Here's the link if you are interested: PC Terminal Program with C# Source Code

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
LiDo_2439176
Level 5
Level 5
First question asked 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hi EfAv_4380776​,

maybe the Bridge Control Panel fits your needs. It is not a tool like arduino's serial monitor but you can see a graphic representation of the data.

It can be used only with Cypress bridge devices (KitProg x, Miniprog x, ...). This tool is automatically installed with every PSoC Programmer instalation.

Best regards,

Liviu

Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

EfAv,

I think you were hoping that Creator had a serial monitor feature in the IDE.   No it doesn't.   However I found that a stand-alone serial monitor program works just as well.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

EfAv,

You can use freeware software SerialPlot and corresponding custom component to output graphs and to communicate with PSoC

SerialPlot: interface to real-time data charts

The SerialPlot s/w also allows sending ASCII control commands back to PSoC, like the Terminal, but you have to implement capture and processing yourself.

/odissey1

SerialPlot_basic_01a_B.png