Is there a 'clean' way to add new custom components to a custom library?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hi,

I've created a number of custom components that I have submitted to the "Code Examples" forum.

I have a custom component library that I have been accumulated these components.

I'm looking for a 'simple'/'clean' way to add a new component to my custom library.

I've seen the "-import" option in cyprjmgr.exe.   I believe this should allow me to add a new component.  

However, I'm looking for a simple way for any user to be able to locate my custom library so that I can use the -import option.

Something similar to how the Creator can find "updated" components and allow a simple means for the update to occur.

Are there any "hooks" in Creator to simplify updating custom libraries?

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @Len_CONSULTRON ,

Unfortunately, there is no easy way for this. The components developed by Cypress are hosted on an internal server. So, whenever these components are updated on the server, you can easily click "Find New Components" or "Find New Devices" to fetch these and update them.

So, when it comes to custom components, although there is no direct support for updating them, I would suggest that you host the components developed on a version control system like GitHub and point your Forum posts to them.

You can have multiple releases of the components, maintain release notes, and a readme to explain how to use the component. That way, the customers can always come to the repo to check for updates. 

Nevertheless, I agree that there should have been a simpler way. I will pass this request to the software team for evaluation. I will keep you posted on the developments, but this might not get priority anytime soon. So, please consider a VCS as a temporary solution. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @Len_CONSULTRON ,

Unfortunately, there is no easy way for this. The components developed by Cypress are hosted on an internal server. So, whenever these components are updated on the server, you can easily click "Find New Components" or "Find New Devices" to fetch these and update them.

So, when it comes to custom components, although there is no direct support for updating them, I would suggest that you host the components developed on a version control system like GitHub and point your Forum posts to them.

You can have multiple releases of the components, maintain release notes, and a readme to explain how to use the component. That way, the customers can always come to the repo to check for updates. 

Nevertheless, I agree that there should have been a simpler way. I will pass this request to the software team for evaluation. I will keep you posted on the developments, but this might not get priority anytime soon. So, please consider a VCS as a temporary solution. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

Dheeraj,

Thank you for your response.

I realize that this requested feature is not on Cypress'/Infineon's priority list for Creator.

I'm interested in the GitHub VCS idea.

However, I don't have a GitHub account or presence.   I've gone to GitHub to retrieve content.

Is there a tutorial or other materials about how to create and upload content to GitHub.

Here's an idea if there is an update to Creator to make it easier to update user component libraries.

Idea:  In the .cysym file, Add a new property "Doc.VCS = http://...GitHub..." (or something like it) to allow Creator to locate if new versions are available and where to find it.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hello @Len_CONSULTRON ,

Here's how you can get started with Git: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

Yeah, that's one way to do it. I will try to understand how this works for the components developed by us. The same process could be reused to point to the public Github servers instead of internal ones for custom components.

Regards,
Dheeraj