I created a CapSense Project for a 5LP with 8-bit widgets. How do I convert to 16-bit widgets?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaFa_1662356
Level 1
Level 1

I created a CapSense project using the CY8CKIT-059. The widgets were initially 8-bit. I then tried to change them to 16-bits. I noticed the max value on the Capsense Tuner tuning page was only 16383 (14-bits).  Does anyone know why? Shouldn't the max value be 65535 (16-bits)?

Now, when I touch the buttons no signal is shown on the tuner or the graphing page.

Any input will be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi DaFa_1662356

I am using a modified version of the CE for PSoC 5LP. I am attaching the project with this response so that you can have a look.

This is the graph I am obtaining.

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards,
Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Hari

Hi dafa_1662356

In CapSense CSD component, the tuner must be set to the parameters required. In Tuner, you can set the resolution to 16 and then check the performance. You can later save the configuration to obtain the response that is required.

pastedImage_6.png

Thanks,
Hari

0 Likes

Thank you for the response. Here is a screen shot of what my tuner looks like.

The CSD component is set to manual and the widgets are 16-bit. Yet, the Max Value is 16383??

If I change the scan res to 16-bits, then I get the max to change to 65535. But, in either case a finger touch is no longer

seen on the screen. I only can see a finger touch with 8-bit widgets?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
Hari

Hi DaFa_1662356

In Tuner, I see that the Scan resolution is set to 14 bits - if this is changed to 16 bits, you will observe the maximum value to be 65535.

pastedImage_0.png

Also, the Widget Resolution parameter must be 16-bits to make use of this increased resolution.

I checked it at my end and the signal levels are appearing even with 16 bits resolution at full scale. Please make sure that the threshold parameters are set correctly.

Thanks,
Hari

0 Likes

Thank you.

Yes, I tried that and I only can get signals from touching with 8-bit widgets.

Can you tell me what version of Creator you are using?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Hari

Hi DaFa_1662356

I tried this with PSoC Creator 4.3 on CY8CKIT-059.

Best regards,

Hari

0 Likes

Can you please tell me all your settings for BUTTON0 and I will duplicate?

I also have version 4.3.

0 Likes

Here's my graphing when I touch BUTTON0, notice no signal.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
Hari

Hi DaFa_1662356

I am using a modified version of the CE for PSoC 5LP. I am attaching the project with this response so that you can have a look.

This is the graph I am obtaining.

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards,
Hari

0 Likes

I tried your project on a new -059 kit and here's what I see in the tuner. Notice how all the thresholds are pushed down to the bottom.

On your screen they nicely scaled up from the 8-bit values.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
Hari

Hi DaFa_1662356

The thresholds set in the component are 87, 21 and 13 respectively. Note that in a scale of 16000, these indeed are small values and hence, are pushed to the bottom.

The idea is that Finger threshold must be set to 80% of the signal - Signal = (Raw counts with touch) - (Baseline)

Noise threshold must be maximum peak to peak noise or 40% of signal, which ever is higher.

You must also attain an SNR of 5:1.

Best regards,

Hari

0 Likes

Yes, thank you. I understand that. Why then in your project are these values so low?

Did you edit them in the tuner and not save them to the project??

I think that is the point of my confusion.

Again, thanks for the interaction.

Dan

0 Likes
Hari

Hello DaFa_1662356

I did not tune the sensors in the project that I shared. I just increased the resolution and checked if the signal is appearing correctly. If you set it in the tuner and save them (or set it in the project, program and launch tuner), you will observe the correct output.

Ideally, you are supposed to tune the sensors and make sure you are obtaining an SNR of 5:1 anything that is greater than this is probably an overkill and you can tune it down to save power/increase the refresh rate of touch sensing.

Best regards,
Hari

0 Likes