Debug output to IDE Output Tab ... or IDE logging?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to cross post this here ... I am looking for *ANY* way to output some debug text and variables to  the Output Tab in the IDE (or any tab!) while debugging my custom PCB and code.

In most all of the other IDEs that I use, there is always a "console.log" kind of functionality that I can use to simply dump some data to the IDE while debugging in the IDE.

How can I get some sort of output like that into the IDE?

I have seen all sorts of people talking about having to create a UART and output off pins in the board ... but what if I don't have the pins to do that?  How can I get some form of logging going in the IDE?

There has to be some way ... right?  Please?  🙂

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Your debugging device, be it a MiniProg3 or an on-board KitProg, has the capability of "bridging". Sending data to it will be processed and sent over the debugging USB interface to the PC where a com-port is emulated. Simple terminal programs like PuTTY or HyperTerm will allow you to display that data, additionally some more complex programs are supplied by Cypress as the "Bridge Control Panel"..

Anyway you will need at least one (1) extra pin to communicate with the MiniProg3 or KitProg.

Kitprog is the easiest, there is an UART interface which you can connect to a Tx pin on your Project under Test, Rx connection is optional, so you may use a software TX component

So when you have got a Pioneer Kit you are fine off, one wire connection on the board and running PuTTY works like a charm.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21 Replies