Continous Integration pipelines on Git

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
olis_4809466
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

1. Needed bring up continuous integration to the project for CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A:

- starting building firmware on pipeline

- creating build artifacts

With this one there is no any problems if the system based on gcc compiler with usual includes and libraries.

But PSoC creator generates headers so it can not be run without PSoC creator.

What you can suggest to do?

2. Can you describe in addition your ideas about:

- why you create PSoC Creator with such environment which blocks use it on linux and with famous build system like make?

- when you created your project file what do you think about merging changes between several developers in one project? 

PS:

You have done very big work to block usage of them, you have realized custom very very very constrained build system.

I think you know what you want to reach but may be forgot to describe it, so give me a document with that description.

I expect document something like that:

We are very powerful team and we have created revolution of build systems. Imagine that you have not ability to control of

building your big project(divided by libraries and relations between of them). We have reach it with introduction special handwritten IDE with very poor options:
- You will not have an ability to merge changes between several developers(spend your time and your money more and more).

- You will not have an ability to use any another system(linux or macOS) because we want you to pay Microsoft for their Windows operating system.

- Also we know that there is computers in the world with ARM processors, so we decide reject it because we know what we do, trust us.

- We know that there is C++ language and it better it we know that with special options to the compiler it costs nothing BUT we will not provide even text coloring in our editor. Be doubt that cpp extention will not be colored because we reject you to use cpp.

- We know more than developers of gcc that is why we think so and do this strange things.

- We more smarter than create our own compiler but maybe we will just broke normal usage of gcc and it will be our big goal...

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @olis_4809466

We do understand that PSoC Creator is not git friendly and it is not supported in any other OS other than Windows. However, PSoC Creator projects can be exported to a makefile. PSoC Creator also has some lesser-known CLI options. You can refer to the PSoC Creator User Guide to learn about this and all the other features of PSoC Creator.

Going forward we will be using ModusToolbox. It does support most of our newer kits and we are adding support for kits regularly. ModusToolbox is git friendly, it is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. The IDE that comes bundled with the installer is based on Eclipse.  If you do not like the IDE, then you can export it to VS Code or Keil uVision or IAR Embedded Workbench. You can use just the CLI to import the required libraries, build your project, program, etc too. It also follows the makefile-based build system. You can learn more about ModusToolbox here - Session 1: Introduction to ModusToolbox 2.x or refer to the ModusToolbox documentation.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Rakshith

Hi @olis_4809466

We do understand that PSoC Creator is not git friendly and it is not supported in any other OS other than Windows. However, PSoC Creator projects can be exported to a makefile. PSoC Creator also has some lesser-known CLI options. You can refer to the PSoC Creator User Guide to learn about this and all the other features of PSoC Creator.

Going forward we will be using ModusToolbox. It does support most of our newer kits and we are adding support for kits regularly. ModusToolbox is git friendly, it is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. The IDE that comes bundled with the installer is based on Eclipse.  If you do not like the IDE, then you can export it to VS Code or Keil uVision or IAR Embedded Workbench. You can use just the CLI to import the required libraries, build your project, program, etc too. It also follows the makefile-based build system. You can learn more about ModusToolbox here - Session 1: Introduction to ModusToolbox 2.x or refer to the ModusToolbox documentation.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Ok I will try to use exporter to Makefile, I do not know how it will work because the main problem in the source code generator which will not work on linux... But ok I will try.

How can I use C8CKIT-042-BLE-A with ModusToolbox?

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @olis_4809466

Unfortunately, the device CY8CKIT-042-BLE is not supported in ModusToolbox currently. You will have to use PSoC Creator for that particular device.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hm looks I asked very good question about PSoC Creator... A lot of problems with it...

You should just answer YES we know about it, it is very rough tool sorry for that...

0 Likes
olis_4809466
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

So my problem was not resolved by any your answer. Unfortunately.

0 Likes
Rakshith

Yes, as mentioned, PSoC Creator does not support git inherently and is supported only on Windows, and is not cross-platform. But you can run some pipelines to build your project. Hope this clarifies everything.
I will update the thread when support is added for your kit in ModusToolbox.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes