BUG: Fixed-Implementation Timer One-Shot Feature Enabled For PSoC 5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

When using PSoC Creator, it is generally assumed that if a particular component feature can't be used with the current options (e.g. it's using a fixed-implementation), it will be greyed out. However, this is not the case for the "One-shot" and "One-shot (Halt on Interrupt)" run modes when using a fixed-implementation Timer with a PSoC 5. 

This is annoying, as you can continue about building your design, and only discover it's useless when it comes to building the project hours later. 

It also makes no mention of this under the section "PWM Component As A Pulse Generator" in the PWM datasheet (in the second bit, where it introduces a timer and says it's less resource intensive than using a PWM component). I think you should mention that this is only applicable to PSoC 3.

0 Likes
3 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Thsi seems to affect other components as well. For example, as discussed in this thread, the control register on PSoC5 cannot use pulse mode. Yet this isn't disabled in the configuration dialog, nor is it mentioned anywhere else (in fact, even the TRM explains this mode...)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

True! And there are alot of discrepancies in the datasheets once you start delving into more complex sections. Some parts mention compatibility, others forget to say what PSoC chips it is applicable for, others give workaround that don't work due to the provided workaround not applicable on the target either.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Just had a look at it again (and tested with PSoC5). The 'one-shot' run seem to work there. And the 'one-shot with halt on interrupt' mode is stated in the timer data sheet as being only for the UDB implementation. But the UI still should disable this option (as it does with other ones) when selecting the FF implementation.

As for my example with the control register - I suspect its a bug in the validation during the CyFit process, since all other places agree that it should work...

0 Likes