A basic question on multiple versions of something. How do I create a "version 2" of a project and not lose the original one ? Kinda new here. Thanks.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoBu_286116
Level 1
Level 1

So, lets say you have a version that works and don't want to lose it. You now want to try something different, say changing/adding pins, modifying configurations of components, modifying the code, etc. There is a "save as" button in the creator, but it seems to be only for the code (??)  What does "add new project" do ? I seem to have lost too many things trying to save the original.

Also: is there a way to print the pin assignments done in the cydwr section ?

Thanks. . . a newbee. . . Bob

0 Likes
1 Solution
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Bob,

One thing that Creator is not good at doing is versioning.  You have to do it all manually.

What I do is create a folder to contain my project.  The folder name is something like "My Project - A.2"  where A.2 is the version number.  Under this folder put all creator projects that are part of the solution.  In my case, I have a Bootloader and Bootloadable as two separate projects that are in this folder.  They are named something like "My Project - A.2.cydsn" (this is the bootloadable) and "My Project Bootloader.cydsn".  In this case the bootloader does not have a version number as it should not change through the life of the product.  But it is still important to keep it together with the bootloadable.

To start a new version, make a copy of the entire structure and only rename the root folder (My Project - A.3).  Then open the projects under this folder and rename them using Creator.  I usually rename the projects first and then the workspace (I have a workspace stored in the bootloadable project that opens both the bootloadable and bootloader).  Allow Creator to rename ALL files in the project.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Bob,

One thing that Creator is not good at doing is versioning.  You have to do it all manually.

What I do is create a folder to contain my project.  The folder name is something like "My Project - A.2"  where A.2 is the version number.  Under this folder put all creator projects that are part of the solution.  In my case, I have a Bootloader and Bootloadable as two separate projects that are in this folder.  They are named something like "My Project - A.2.cydsn" (this is the bootloadable) and "My Project Bootloader.cydsn".  In this case the bootloader does not have a version number as it should not change through the life of the product.  But it is still important to keep it together with the bootloadable.

To start a new version, make a copy of the entire structure and only rename the root folder (My Project - A.3).  Then open the projects under this folder and rename them using Creator.  I usually rename the projects first and then the workspace (I have a workspace stored in the bootloadable project that opens both the bootloadable and bootloader).  Allow Creator to rename ALL files in the project.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

0 Likes