Why isn't Cypress PSoC more popular?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
sese_4662726
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I just got the CY8CKIT and I love it. While I have a background in EE, I don't currently work in the industry. This stuff is a blast to play around with.

It's an expensive kit but Cypress offer a wide range of kits in a variety of price points. I also have the low-cost BLE set. It's so much fun to use PSoC Creator. It feels like I have a much wider range of options. All the tools are so much more helpful then the Arduino IDE. The builder is simply magic. I wire up the components and the builder does the rest. I love being able to review the C code that it builds. There is a bit of a learning cure but it just took ma a day or so to get the hang of it. After I master the Creator tool I can start building for the BLE and PSoC 6 chips.

Why aren't these chips and kits more popular with the hacker/maker kids? Is it the higher cost? Is it the smaller ecosystem? Is it the learning curve? I just finished building an adapter so I can use all my Arduino shields with the CY8CKIT. I can't wait to add a TFTP display. The PS0C BLE is a great chipset for building for the IoT environment. The CapSense tools are pretty cool too.

1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi sese_4662726​,

Happy to know that you have been liking Cypress products. To give you a heads up Modus ToolBox is our main tool of support now. Especially as you are interested in using PSoC6 products, Modus which is eclipse based IDE will be also interest you I guess.

Regarding the ecosystem do check out our Community Code Example Page.

Happy Designing !

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LinglingG_46
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 10 questions asked

There are  many kinds of kits cypress offered. And offers rich materials to customer to refer it.

You can search from the website:  https://www.cypress.com/

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi sese_4662726​,

Happy to know that you have been liking Cypress products. To give you a heads up Modus ToolBox is our main tool of support now. Especially as you are interested in using PSoC6 products, Modus which is eclipse based IDE will be also interest you I guess.

Regarding the ecosystem do check out our Community Code Example Page.

Happy Designing !

Best Regards,
Vasanth

Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

sese,

I'm in agreement.  The PSoC has an excellent architecture.   Being also trained in EE HW I was very impressed with the ability to create HW state-machines to virtually eliminate/minimize SW interaction.

I've worked with at least 20 other CPU architectures over the years.  The PSoC is far superior in my opinion.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
JaJa_4662716
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PSoC embedded in a sealed-up prototype device along with a Raspberry Pi. It's very inconvenient to physically plug in the USB but I've got Ethernet and WiFi connections. VidMate

The lack of Linux programming support, even to load a compiled binary, was a real hassle even though I'm using PSoC Creator on Windows.

I don't think I'll use it again in that context. I don't want to have to spend a lot of my time figuring out how to use a computer two inches away from the PSoC board to program it.

I ended up using VirtualHere to plug in the USB over the network. Works, but...

0 Likes