Using Watchdog Timer (WDT) on PSoC 6 (PSoC Creator 4.2)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JoGr_3160431
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First question asked

Hello,

I am having issues using the watchdog timer system on the PSoC 6. I used the CE220060 example project.

I have two PSoC 6 devices, a custom board (which has part number CY8C6247BZI-D54) and the PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit CY8CKIT-062-BLE (CY8C6347BZI-BLD53). I created a pair of identical projects, one for each board. They contain literally the same CM0 and CM4 main files and virtually identical TopDesign.cysch files.

In these projects, all I do is set up the watchdog and then read the watchdog timer several times a second. You expect the watchdog timer to count up several times and then reset the device printing "hello new project 2". The Pioneer Kit project (josh_test_watchdog) works exactly as expected. The watchdog timer is started, it counts up, device resets. The custom board project (josh_qnet_board_wd_test) does not work well. The watchdog timer stays at zero indefinitely, so the system stays in this short loop printing the same line forever.

My questions are:

1) Are there other considerations for setting up the watchdog timer than those in these projects' InitializeWDT() functions (which are more or less ripped straight out of the CE220060 app note)?

2) Are there known issues using the watchdog timer on a CY8C6247BZI-D54 PSoC 6?

I've attached my two projects and a document showing their terminal outputs to this question.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Likes
1 Solution
JeHu_3414236
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received First like received

Try disabling "Run in hibernate mode" for the ILO clock setting.  If it works then this may be the problem:

Workaround for PSoC 6 MCU Device ILO Start Failure in PSoC Creator 4.2 – KBA229046

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi Josh,

We tried your project at our end we could not recreate the issue you faced.The watchdog count is increasing.

I have attached the screenshot of my terminal window after programming the (josh_qnet_board_wd_test) project with  CY8C6247BZI-D54 device.

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda
0 Likes
JeHu_3414236
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received First like received

Try disabling "Run in hibernate mode" for the ILO clock setting.  If it works then this may be the problem:

Workaround for PSoC 6 MCU Device ILO Start Failure in PSoC Creator 4.2 – KBA229046

Disabling "Run in hibernate mode" worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!

0 Likes