USBFS component for the PSoC6 in PSoC Creator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Chva_1477726
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins First solution authored

Hi

I have two questions on PSoC6 USB

1. I saw various threads mentioning the release of a USBFS component in PSoC Creator in 2018, but I have not seen it in the latest version of PSoC creator. What is the status?
  2. Will the the USB inputs of the PSoC6 accept the 5Volt lines coming from a USB port? If not, how will it interface with the 5V lines?

Regards

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Rodolfo

Thanks for this info, I did the update and now have the USBFS component available.

Much appreciated.

Best regards

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello Chris,

The USB is part of the PDL and its already available with the Modus Toolbox. The PSoC6 pins will support USB voltages if it is within the USB specification.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes

Hi Hima

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I switched to Cypress PSoC devices in the first place was due to the configurable hardware and the visual development environment, ie. PSoC Creator.

Modus Toolbox allows access to the "standard" peripherals but I could not see any way to add logic functions, registers, etc. to a design. It is also yet another IDE to get used to. I can see a place for Modus for pure software development where your application is supported by the standard hardware, but if you use the full capabilities of PSoC, it just will not cut it.

Since I am developing industrial applications which use the UDB capabilities, Modus Toolbox will not work for me.

So I will ask the same question again. USB support in PSoC Creator was promised for 2018, when will it be released?

Best regards

Chris

Hello

The USBFS Device component is already part of the PSoC Creator 4.2. If you install PDL 3.1 then you will be able to use this. https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/peripheral-driver-library-pdl .

Please have a look at the component datasheet for APIs and usages. USB host feature will be supported only on Modus.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes

Hi Hima

Thanks for your reply. After doing some digging, my summary of the issue is as follows:

• There is no USB component to use
  • USB has to be configured outside of PSoC Creator and then imported into the project
  • Once imported, you can use the PDL middleware to use USB
  • Only USB device can be used from within PSoC Creator, not host
  • PDL 3.1 is the last release of the PDL for PSoC Creator. Going forward, PDL development will only be done for Modus Toolbox.
  • Cypress is basically forcing us to change to Modus Toolbox for PS0C6, although as far as I can see, it does not support the UDB part of PSoC6, unless I missed it somehow.
  • We Have to use two development environments if you, like me, use PSoC6 as well as PSoC5LP and other PSoC products, although neither of them fully support the PSoC6 chip. PSoC creator supports UDB's and not USB host while Modus Toolbox supports USB host but not UDB's. PSoC Creator was one of the main reasons why I changed to Cypress and PSoC MCU's and also recommended it to many other developers.

I must admit that I am confused and disappointed at the direction this is going.

WIll PSoC6 be dropped from PSoC Creator or will further development for it just seize?

Best regards

Chris

0 Likes

Hello,

As of now PSoC6 support will be continued on PSoC Creator.

Thanks,

Hima

Chris,

If you are not seeing the USB component in PSoC Creator, go to Tools > Find New Components. It should download the the USB component.

You still can use PSoC 6 with PSoC Creator. PSoC Creator is NOT going away.

0 Likes

Hi Rodolfo

Thanks for this info, I did the update and now have the USBFS component available.

Much appreciated.

Best regards

Chris

0 Likes