RTOS

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi,

Can we expect any RTOS official component on Creator anytime (maybe until Creator 5)?

Maybe a wrapper around FreeRTOS source code, the FreeRTOS examples include one example running on a PSoC5 device, but it might be useful to have a PSoC6 example as well.

1 Solution
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

The short answer is ... yes! With the increased performance and memory space of PSoC 6 over PSoC 5LP there is definitely a need for RTOS support.

However, it is not going to be implemented as a component. You will be able to choose the RTOS as a part of your project Build Settings, which we are extending to enable the inclusion/configuration of middleware. FreeRTOS is definitely one of the supported systems and it shall be distributed within the Peripheral driver Library (PDL 3.x). Here is a sneak peak of the setup GUI (subject to change before release):

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

The short answer is ... yes! With the increased performance and memory space of PSoC 6 over PSoC 5LP there is definitely a need for RTOS support.

However, it is not going to be implemented as a component. You will be able to choose the RTOS as a part of your project Build Settings, which we are extending to enable the inclusion/configuration of middleware. FreeRTOS is definitely one of the supported systems and it shall be distributed within the Peripheral driver Library (PDL 3.x). Here is a sneak peak of the setup GUI (subject to change before release):

pastedImage_0.png

Wonderful !

The ARM Toolchain seems to be upgraded as well, in Creator 4 it's 4.9, an in this screen-shot is 5.4, this is the toolchain provided with Creator 4.1?

The FreeRTOS middleware can be upgraded like any other component? On the Creator 4.1 notes says that the components can be upgraded without upgrading the whole IDE.

As this is based on the PDL i guess this will not available for PSoC5LP and 4, am i right?

Thanks for the reply

0 Likes

Wonderful !

The ARM Toolchain seems to be upgraded as well, in Creator 4 it's 4.9, an in this screen-shot is 5.4, this is the toolchain provided with Creator 4.1?

Yup, this is mostly the version that will be released.

0 Likes

The FreeRTOS middleware can be upgraded like any other component? On the Creator 4.1 notes says that the components can be upgraded without upgrading the whole IDE.

As this is based on the PDL i guess this will not available for PSoC5LP and 4, am i right?

Thanks for the reply

Yes, middleware like RTOS and other peripheral drivers get updated as part of the PDL3.0 package, from your Cypress Update Manager, and only supports the devices supported by the PDL version (only PSoC 6 at present).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, folks,

are there any plans to support embOS of Segger as well?

regards Konrad

0 Likes

We will not have embOS in the first release but support for that RTOS is certainly desirable. As you can imagine, it is a priority call for what we do when. I'll add your post to my list as a vote for embOS!

0 Likes
Avinash_S_B
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

Does PSOC 6 supports Azure RTOS and Microsoft azure stack?

0 Likes