Parallel Pin read

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ArBi_3167741
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hi everyone,

I am trying to configure a counter at 1 MHz frequency to generate an interrupt. At every interrupt point, the processor is supposed to read a 32 pin input value. For this purpose, I need to configure two operations-

1. Configure 32 pins as input and read them with one instruction. ( such as 32 pin port read with one register value)

2. Configure a counter to trigger the read after 1 microsecond.

I have gone through the tutorial videos but I couldn't find any way to configure 32 pin port as a digital input.

Could anyone help me with the right resources to do the required operations? (Tutorial/Documentation etc.).

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yeshwanth_KT
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 likes received

Hello,

All ports in PSoC6 device are of 8 bits. You can use 4 different ports to read the data and store it in one 32 bit variable as shown below.

uint32_t data;

data = (GPIO_PRT9->IN << 24 | GPIO_PRT8->IN << 16 | GPIO_PRT7->IN << 8 | GPIO_PRT6->IN );

Note: The data bits have to be connected in the order PORT6 to PORT9 (LSB to MSB).

Thanks,

Yeshwanth

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Yeshwanth_KT
Employee
Employee

Hello,

All ports in PSoC6 device are of 8 bits. You can use 4 different ports to read the data and store it in one 32 bit variable as shown below.

uint32_t data;

data = (GPIO_PRT9->IN << 24 | GPIO_PRT8->IN << 16 | GPIO_PRT7->IN << 8 | GPIO_PRT6->IN );

Note: The data bits have to be connected in the order PORT6 to PORT9 (LSB to MSB).

Thanks,

Yeshwanth

You could use 4 status registers connected to your input pins. A single strobe to all registers in parallel wil give you a snapshot of the 32 bits.

To avoid the registers you may use the inclock capability of the pins component, see datasheet.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your suggestion. I couldn't understand "A single Strobe " completely is it routing the pins into one register?

I would really appreciate if you could explain it a little bit.

Thanks.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Here you go...

Bob

0 Likes

Hello Yeshwanth,

Thank you for your reply. In the pin map, I have to define them as input and configure them manually in the code right?

I am new with PSoC that's why I am making sure.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Yeshwanth_KT
Employee
Employee

PSoC creator will initialize all the pins automatically. You just have to place the pins on the Top Design, configure them as input in GUI and select a pin map.

test.png

Thanks,

Yeshwanth

0 Likes