PSoC64 Standard Secure AWS code demonstration not working

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
callum_snowden
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi all,

We have a CY8CKIT-064S0S2-4343W kit that we're trying to get up and running with the demonstration code that is generated from AWS. I'm following the getting started guide located here https://docs.aws.amazon.com/freertos/latest/userguide/getting_started_cypress_psoc64.html and have successfully done everything up to the point of getting working code.

I've managed to build and flash the provided demo application, and the board successfully boots but then halts shortly after with "ERROR: stack overflow" — the attached screenshot shows what is happening. This happened with no WiFi credentials set, I then tried to set WiFi credentials and the error still happened. 

Any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @callum_snowden ,

Sorry about the delay in response. I got of the kit just now. I'm not sure what you are doing differently. I tried it at my end and everything works fine for me as shown below:

DheerajK_81_0-1615915636318.png

I think the problem in your case might be that you downloaded the Amazon FreeRTOS zip folder from the releases probably. If you did, then it will not contain all the files and folders (called submodules in git terminology). 

You need to do the following. Download git bash and install it. Once installed, open the Git bash terminal and enter the following command:

>> git clone https://github.com/aws/amazon-freertos.git --recurse-submodules

This will fetch all the required modules. You only need to make modifications to the following files:

• demos/include/aws_clientcredential.h
  • demos/include/aws_clientcredential_keys.h

After this import the project into ModusToolbox and perform a Build and Program your device. 

Please try doing this from scratch. I feel one or more steps may have been missed while creating the project while following the guide. Let me know your observations 🙂

If not, do we need to follow all the steps in that guide?

The QuickConnect workflow will work fine. No need to follow any other steps. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @callum_snowden ,

Can you please navigate to this file: "amazon-freertos\vendors\cypress\boards\CY8CPROTO_064S0S2_4343W\aws_demos\config_files\aws_demo_config.h" and increase the stack size allocated to the demo task?

Change 
#define democonfigMQTT_ECHO_TASK_STACK_SIZE ( configMINIMAL_STACK_SIZE * 8
to
#define democonfigMQTT_ECHO_TASK_STACK_SIZE ( configMINIMAL_STACK_SIZE * 10

With this change, build and run the application. Let me know your observations.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

Thanks for your suggestion - I've just given it a try and I'm still running into the same issue, and I tried it with the SoftAP setup and with a hardcoded WiFi SSID & password.

It also appears that the default demo the code is running is #define CONFIG_GREENGRASS_DISCOVERY_DEMO_ENABLED. Is this correct?

In case it is of any help, the version of Eclipse IDE for ModusToolbox is 2.2.0 build 2181 and the code is the automatically generated ZIP file from AWS.

Best,

Callum

0 Likes

Hello @callum_snowden ,

The default should have been the MQTT demo project. I think the documentation mentions downloading the aws/freertos repository. Although it shouldn't be a problem, you can find the tried and tested version of this for Cypress products here

In the Cypress version, the default demo is the MQTT one. You can see the screenshots of the serial terminal of this example in the documentation as well. 

In the aws_demo_config.h file, please  modify the #define to this:
#define CONFIG_MQTT_DEMO_ENABLED

With this change, please let me know everything works fine 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

Just tried again this morning - still no luck. That demo doesn't exist in our generated code, apparently! I've followed the AWS getting started guide that then links to this prerequisites guide: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/freertos/latest/userguide/freertos-prereqs.html

I followed the Quick Connect workflow (detailed in that guide) which appears like it should generate the code ready to run, is this the case? There are notes throughout that documentation that say that if following the Quick Connect workflow sections can be skipped.

Best,

Callum

0 Likes

Hello @callum_snowden ,

Sorry about the delay in response. I got of the kit just now. I'm not sure what you are doing differently. I tried it at my end and everything works fine for me as shown below:

DheerajK_81_0-1615915636318.png

I think the problem in your case might be that you downloaded the Amazon FreeRTOS zip folder from the releases probably. If you did, then it will not contain all the files and folders (called submodules in git terminology). 

You need to do the following. Download git bash and install it. Once installed, open the Git bash terminal and enter the following command:

>> git clone https://github.com/aws/amazon-freertos.git --recurse-submodules

This will fetch all the required modules. You only need to make modifications to the following files:

• demos/include/aws_clientcredential.h
  • demos/include/aws_clientcredential_keys.h

After this import the project into ModusToolbox and perform a Build and Program your device. 

Please try doing this from scratch. I feel one or more steps may have been missed while creating the project while following the guide. Let me know your observations 🙂

The QuickConnect workflow will work fine. No need to follow any other steps. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

That seemed to solve it! The guide wasn't too clear, as it said to ignore sections if using the quick connect workflow, but with your help it made sense

Best,

Callum

0 Likes

Hello @callum_snowden ,

Glad to hear that it works now! We will try to improve the guide, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi @DheerajK_81,

Any additional help you could offer with this? I tried your solution and it still doesn't appear to work 😞 

The guide mentions being able to follow the Quick Connect workflow in AWS but that seems to skip out sections of the FreeRTOS Prerequisites guide.

Best,

Callum

0 Likes

Hello @callum_snowden ,

After the modifications, are you seeing a different error or the same one? Please attach relevant screenshots as needed.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi @DheerajK_81,

Apologies for the delay in reply. After trying your suggestion of "In the aws_demo_config.h file, please  modify the #define to this:
#define CONFIG_MQTT_DEMO_ENABLED" the project does not compile. The compiler complains that no demo is defined. 

I've followed the AWS getting started guide that links to this prerequisites guide: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/freertos/latest/userguide/freertos-prereqs.html

and followed the Quick Connect workflow (detailed in that guide) which appears that it should generate the code ready to run, is this the case? There are notes throughout that documentation that say that if following the Quick Connect workflow sections can be skipped.

Best,

Callum

0 Likes

Hi @DheerajK_81 

Any further suggestions on this?

Best,

Callum

0 Likes
IanF_56
Employee
Employee
5 questions asked First question asked First solution authored

Callum,

Can you confirm what version of Amazon FreeRTOS you are getting with the Quick Connect method? I expect it is 202012.00, but I would like to be sure.

Thank you in advance,

Ian

0 Likes

Hi Ian,

I'm seeing "Amazon FreeRTOS v1.4.7" and "FreeRTOS V202012.00" in the comment blocks at the top of various project files, if that's any use.

Best,

Callum

0 Likes