PSoC 6 MCSP Footprint Modification?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there,

I was hoping to get my footprint reviewed with the modifications I made (removal of various pads of GPIO's we aren't using). I have had success before with similar modifications but prefer to have it verified by you guys now. I know it's far from ideal but this is just to get us by until we can get our hands on the QFN package later this year. So the question, do these pad removals make it extremely unstable? (Both mechanically and electrically).

Thank you guys

PSoC6.PNG

0 Likes
1 Solution
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

I checked with our hardware engineers and they felt that these many removals will make the package mechanically unstable and might result very poor soldering yield if you opt for auto PCB assembly. Some comments -

1. Populate as many more balls as you can to increase the stability.

2. Make sure there are no traces exactly below the removed balls - As it may result in shorts, if the layer insulating the trace peals off (even during manufacturing)

3. Make sure you have populated all supply/GND balls and connected them externally. As supplies are not shorted internally and you will have to connect them externally.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

I checked with our hardware engineers and they felt that these many removals will make the package mechanically unstable and might result very poor soldering yield if you opt for auto PCB assembly. Some comments -

1. Populate as many more balls as you can to increase the stability.

2. Make sure there are no traces exactly below the removed balls - As it may result in shorts, if the layer insulating the trace peals off (even during manufacturing)

3. Make sure you have populated all supply/GND balls and connected them externally. As supplies are not shorted internally and you will have to connect them externally.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R