Low cost development board PSoC6

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Cava_2099831
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I really like the idea of a single chip with embedded wireless connection. We still have to see some datasheets to see how valuable the PSoC6 is but based on the PSoC5 my expectations are high.

I like to vote two things for the PSoC6.

The announced Pioneer Kits are nice but it do not give the amount of flexibility of simpler and lower cost

CY8CKIT-059 PSoC® 5LP Prototyping Kit

1) I really like the simple design of the prototyping kit. For PSoC6 I would like a similar design with the following wish list.

- make the board one row smaller so you have two rows available on the breadboard.

(The WICED Photon development board from Particle has this width see: https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-datasheet/ )

- drop the bulky low cost USB solution for micro USB

- programming and debugging via micro USB or even better BLE or WiFi

- the CY8CKIT-059 are designed to break but the board is so thick that this is not possible but I like the idea of a cap sense break of board.

- make the board small so you can use in actual designs

2) Support C++ in PSoC creator.

- you can use C++ in PSoC creator if you are willing to jump through some hoops,
   use another editor for syntax lighting, write you own startup code, linker script, etc

C++ has some benefits like namespaces, inheritance, templates, operator overloading etc which can make you firmware easier to write and understand.

1 Solution
pushekm_21
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 5 likes given First like received

Thanks for your interest in PSoC 6 and your suggestions for PSoC 6 Prototyping Kit.

1. Yes, we do have plans to bring out a prototyping kit, similar to CY8CKIT-059, but it's not planned till later part of this year. Regarding the CapSense breakout boards, do you have any preference on what kind of sensors you prefer on the board?

2. Yes, we are evaluating the support of C++ in our development platform. We'll announce when we have more details to be shared on this topic.

Thanks,

Pushek

View solution in original post

8 Replies
pushekm_21
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 5 likes given First like received

Thanks for your interest in PSoC 6 and your suggestions for PSoC 6 Prototyping Kit.

1. Yes, we do have plans to bring out a prototyping kit, similar to CY8CKIT-059, but it's not planned till later part of this year. Regarding the CapSense breakout boards, do you have any preference on what kind of sensors you prefer on the board?

2. Yes, we are evaluating the support of C++ in our development platform. We'll announce when we have more details to be shared on this topic.

Thanks,

Pushek

Preference for a CapSense breakout is off course depending on the project you are working on.

E.g.

- a few normal sized buttons

- a slider

- a circular slider

Everything has to do with the development cycle. This is the way I prefer to work. I build a quick prototype as a proof of concept. It is nice if you can grab a working piece of CapSense PCB and push it into your breadboard. After you did some test you design a PCB for the project and replace the prototype board.

If you have two rows available on the breadboard you can still use the unused pins and use the CapSense prototype PCB as quick start for your project. I included a photo to show you what I mean, just an example.  A breakout board similar the CapSense part on the PSoC Pioneer kit will be nice. The advantage of a breakout board is that you do not have to use it but you can if you need it.

If you design the prototype board symmetric (power lines etc) you can use the breakout on both sides.  IMG_0254.jpg

0 Likes

Is there already a release date for a PSoC 6 prototyping kit ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I prefer have the C# langage. It is less tolerant as C++

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also like this idea. I do like having the micro USB so you can act as a USB device etc.

Cap sense to me is not important, having it as a breakaway option is great, but I would personally never use it. You cant exactly use it for anything but a simple "OK this works" scenario. Most people might be using copper tape to make their own, but as an add on or additional separate purchase might not be bad.

The single button and LED on the board for me has been enough. Past simple testing, don't end up using it again (I light up the LED maybe once).

I like the idea of c++ but C for me has been fine. C# sounds nice because it is common, but I like getting a break from c#

Lastly, programming over wireless etc vs over USB is not critical to me, but if removing the USB programmer/debugger improved the quality of wireless functionality and kept the cost low, then it might be worth it.

For now I will just turn off my computer, lay on the floor, and stare at the ceiling (patiently) until next year when the new design comes out.

Also, I would personally prefer no jumpers or 'shield' style configurations. Just through holes is wonderful. This creates a great middle ground, between other dev boards that are fully configured and large, and designer boards like Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Beagle board,  which are also pre-populated, large, and expensive. These boards take a lot of work to cut down in size (removing terminals and jumpers etc). The PSOC CY8CKits for me are the best cheap, low profile, ready to go, powerful, kits with the most possibilities. Yes, unlike the Raspberry line, a soldering iron is required, but it is a great 'next step' from designer boards. 

0 Likes

I would like to have on-board pads for 24MHz XTAL and 2 caps instead of a jumbo button.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! one year later:  any new developpement on this topic?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Pioneer IoT Add-On Shield is an exclusive board intended to add more functionality to the PSoC 6 from Cypress while residual useful and practical for sufficiently of other Internet of Things applications. Each Add-On Shield is an attractive simple board with a similarly simple layout that provides XBee.

https://webnado.com.au

0 Likes