Has anyone done a small in-house run on PSOC 6 for testing?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

In our shop we do small production runs using modified T-962 infrared ovens for flowing solder paste.  We updated oven firmware and added some sensors based on the open source community suggestions.

We successfully create, build, and "cook" PBC's with TQFP and QFN packages.   Our end product has to run at extended temperatures (as high as 350F).  Obviously, device lifetime is curtailed under that circumstance.  However, we have found the PSOC5LP to be a robust product that does well.  Our production runs can be typically counted on fingers and toes.

We are interested in looking at the PSOC6, but the packaging concerns us.  We have not created the footprints in our PCB software (eagle 7), nor have we had experience "cooking" these parts.

Have you had experiences with this part in small runs for in-house testing?  If so, what has your experience been?

Thank you ahead of time.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

I soldered a dozen PSoC6 BGA with a process called Vapor Phase. I also own a T-962 but I can tell you it's very hard or impossible as well to use this oven for soldering BGA's.

Take a look at this video:

DIY VAPOR PHASE OVEN - YouTube

Thanks,

Rolf

0 Likes
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please refer page number 56 of the PSoC 6 datasheet which specifies that the maximum peak temperature is 260 degrees centigrade and the maximum time at this temperature is 30 seconds.

Could you please specify whether you are concerned about the temperature while soldering or temperature during the PSoC functioning?

Please note that the maximum operating temperature of the PSoC is 85 degrees centigrade and it is mentioned in same page 56.

http://www.cypress.com/file/385921/download

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes