HEX file size is different

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
hata_3396041
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored First like received 50 questions asked

Hello

Questions related to this thread.

https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-6-MCU/The-contents-of-the-HEX-file-are-different/m-p/266218#M9...

Customer using CYBLE-416045-02.
Files built using PSoC Creator vary in size depending on the PC on which they are created.

(Version4.3)

As a verification, I built a sample program of "BLE_Alert_Notification" and compared customers HEX, but the size was different.
When I checked it with software that compares HEX files, I found data that existed in only one of them.

What is the cause of this?

Best Regards

Hayato

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Hayato-san, 

I apologize for the delay in my response. 

Does PDL change the contents of the HEX file?

Yes, it does. There will be changes in the drivers and their implementations between the different versions of PDL and thus the size and contents of the hex file might vary. I built the same project using PDL 3.0.4 and the size is 489 KB. I have attached the hex file for your reference.

When I checked with Cypress Update Manager, the PDL was 3.1.3.

Although you might have PDL 3.1.3 the project might not be using the same PDL version. Please go to the project build settings and select Peripheral Driver Library. If the Default option is selected, go to Tools > Options. You will be able to find the PDL that you are using.

Attach the project file used to create the HEX file.

I could not find the project in the attachment. The archive contained just the hex files. Could you please attach the project again?

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Rakshith

Hi @hata_3396041

I tried building the BLE Alert Notification Code Example. My hex file matches with the customer's hex file with very few differences (probably because of differences in pin assignment) and the size is the same (504 KB). I have attached the hex file for your reference.

Can you please archive the project that you used and attach it to this thread so that I can check it out? Which is the PDL version you are using?

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
lock attach

Hello Rakshith M B-san

Thank you for your reply.

Best Regards

Hayato

0 Likes
lock attach
Rakshith

Hi Hayato-san, 

I apologize for the delay in my response. 

Yes, it does. There will be changes in the drivers and their implementations between the different versions of PDL and thus the size and contents of the hex file might vary. I built the same project using PDL 3.0.4 and the size is 489 KB. I have attached the hex file for your reference.

Although you might have PDL 3.1.3 the project might not be using the same PDL version. Please go to the project build settings and select Peripheral Driver Library. If the Default option is selected, go to Tools > Options. You will be able to find the PDL that you are using.

I could not find the project in the attachment. The archive contained just the hex files. Could you please attach the project again?

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes