Cy8cproto-063-BLE breaks after a while

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Niek
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I am using a Cy8cproto-063-BLE board to program other psoc 1 and psoc 4 target boards. The setup works fine, but after a while the cy8proto-063-BLE breaks. The MCU does not react to anything and is sometimes shorted fromt VCC to GND. 

When I measure my circuitry, I don't measure any signals that transcend the Absolut Maximum Ratings. The 3.3V VCC is provided by a Meanwell IRM-03-3.3. 

I think the problem might have something to do with ESD. In the "PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Board Guide" I found This:

Niek_0-1619105861337.png 

Is there anybody who has any tips for me?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @Niek

As you have already programmed 300 target devices, the program should be okay. One thing to consider is that the device should not be run at absolute conditions. Even though the device will survive under absolute conditions, the lifetime of the device might be reduced. Please refer to the device-specific datasheet for the absolute ratings. Regarding ESD related issues these documents might help - 

ESD Tutorial
AN80994 - Design Considerations for Electrical Fast Transient (EFT) Immunity

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Rakshith

Hi @Niek

Can you please let me know if you are using the KitProg2 programmer/debugger to program the device or are you using the PSoC 6 device to program the device by implementing HSSP? 

As you found that the VCC and GND are already shorted, can you try snapping off the KittProg2 breakout board and let me know if by any chance that works?
Would it be possible to share the connections made to program the target device? How is the target device powered and what is the programming parameters used?

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Niek
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hey Rakshith,

I am using a PSoC 6 to program another PSoC4 on a PCB. So I'm only using the KitProg2 to program the Cy8cproto-063-BLE. I tried snapping of the KitProg2 but I still measure a short. So it looks like the PSoC 6 is shorted and the KitProg2 still works.  

I added the schematic of the PCB where the Cy8cproto-063-BLE is connected to. 
The program does the following steps:

1) powers the target (with the PSoC1 module) with 48V by using the 'switch'

2) measures output on the voltage regulator of the target board.

3) program the target PSoC 1 with ISSP or HSSP

4) run a test with DMX to see if the target pcb is working correctly, this is measured with the LED_V_measure and LED current circuit

the whole software/set up works and I already have programmed and tested 300+ target boards with it. But after some time the Cy8cproto-063-BLE breaks. This now happend 2 times. the Cy8cproto-063-BLE is  the only component that is broken. 

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @Niek

As you have already programmed 300 target devices, the program should be okay. One thing to consider is that the device should not be run at absolute conditions. Even though the device will survive under absolute conditions, the lifetime of the device might be reduced. Please refer to the device-specific datasheet for the absolute ratings. Regarding ESD related issues these documents might help - 

ESD Tutorial
AN80994 - Design Considerations for Electrical Fast Transient (EFT) Immunity

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes