Can I write to kitprog3 "usb uart" from my PSoC6 program?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_63519
Level 1
Level 1

I have an onethinx module, basically it's a CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 together with a LoRa radio. I program it using ModusToolbox-1.1 on linux and a kitprog2 (upgraded to 3) programmer.

Question is if I can have my PSoC6 application write something to the uart on the kitprog so it will be visible using a serial terminal program on my development host? This would be very useful for logging program flow during development and debugging.

I have had a look at the Retarget IO middelware, but it only seems to be able to use the PSoC6 uarts. I think I am looking for a "synthetic" device of some sort.

Thoughts, pointers, examples?

/mogul

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Mogul,

USB-UART bridge is not part of SWD protocol implemented in Kitprog, so have to connect the yellow wire.

Thanks,

Ankita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

For the query asked:

PSoC6 application write something to the uart on the kitprog so it will be visible using a serial terminal program on my development host?

>> Kitprog 3 supports USB-UART bridge functionality, thus can be used to transfer UART based data between Host and a PSoC.

You can check the Kitprog 3 User Guide at this link for further help:

https://www.cypress.com/file/452701/download

Just for giving information I wish to tell that:

You can Export any PSoC Creator  4.2 PSoC6 project to IAR, Eclipse or Keil as instructed in Help Section in Creator.

On this thread there is discussion about using ETM tracing for PSoC6:

Re: ETM Trace on PSoC6

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes

I think that's what I am currently do - run a wire from a SCB1.tx to kitprog.rx.

I have been using a segger debugger earlier, where such a wire was not necessary, and ask if the same would be possible with the gear I am using now.

/mogul

0 Likes

Hi Mogul,

If you make your SCB.Tx as  Pin 5.1 and SCB.Rx as Pin 5.0 on CY8CKIT-062 WIFI-BT Pioneer kit, then you need not to connect to Kitprog rx and tx with wires externally.T

But I think Kitprog  is not present on Onethinx module PCB, thus you may be connecting Cy8ckit-059 snapped out board having Kitprog  to program PSoC 6 on Onthink module, then you have to connect UART Rx and Tx lines of SCB with wires  to  Kitprog's Rx/Tx.

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes

Yeah, I figured. I kinda had hoped it was a part of the SWD stuff going on between kitprog and PSoC. This is how my setup looks by now:

2019-05-27 10.33.52.jpg

It is definitely acceptable, but if I somehow could "solve the yellow wire in software" I of course would prefer that.

/mogul

0 Likes

Hi Mogul,

USB-UART bridge is not part of SWD protocol implemented in Kitprog, so have to connect the yellow wire.

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes