BLE Range extension

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
brandiware
Level 4
Level 4
First like given 25 sign-ins 5 solutions authored

Hello, I have started a project to connect 16 PSoC 6 via bluetooth. As I have to span an area of about 400m I am wondering about the range this BLE 4.2 Implementation supports. Also, I have bought a Dev Kit and just ordered a range extender eval kit as well (CYBLE-224110-EVAL). Can I connect this to the 062-BLE, and how ? If not, I need to cancel the order.

Thank you for any help on this

Stefan

0 Likes
1 Solution
joma_1267006
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

The CYBLE-224110-EVAL is not a range extender, it's a PSoC 4 BLE device of it's own with a dedicated, internal, power amplifier to increase its range.

You can connect it to the 062-BLE device via e.g. I2C, SPI, UART but they are otherwise independent devices and the BLE stack would still run on the CYBLE-224110 modules, not on the PSoC 6. You could then in theory program the CYBLE-224110 as a "modem" for the PSoC 6.

That said, unless you want to use a particular feature of the PSoC 6 I don't really see much point in such a configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
joma_1267006
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

The CYBLE-224110-EVAL is not a range extender, it's a PSoC 4 BLE device of it's own with a dedicated, internal, power amplifier to increase its range.

You can connect it to the 062-BLE device via e.g. I2C, SPI, UART but they are otherwise independent devices and the BLE stack would still run on the CYBLE-224110 modules, not on the PSoC 6. You could then in theory program the CYBLE-224110 as a "modem" for the PSoC 6.

That said, unless you want to use a particular feature of the PSoC 6 I don't really see much point in such a configuration.

0 Likes

It is sold as a range extender anyway for the dev kit 042-BLE. CYBLE-224110-EVAL EZ-BLE™ PSoC XT/XR Evaluation Board | Cypress Semiconductor

I usually develop pointless stuff - never mind . However, here I seriously need to extend the range of the 062-BLE Dev Kit. I just wondered if it will connect as simply to the new BLE Dev Kit as it does with the 042-BLE.

0 Likes