ADC Reading Affected by VDDA Value

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PaGy_1246781
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First like received

Hello All,

I have a project using PSoC63 in which the Vdd (and Vdda) varies from 2.1 to 2.5 V.  I am using the Scanning SAR ADC as follows:

• Differential input across a low impedance (shunt resistor).
  • VRef is System Bandgap (1.2V).
  • Input common mode voltage is near Vss.

It appears that, with a constant input voltage, as Vdd (Vdda) increases, ADC readings increase somewhat.  I don't have actual numbers - this is simply a consistent pattern that I have observed.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  If so, do you have a fix?

Paul

0 Likes
4 Replies
ARH
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

I was hoping someone was gonna answer this question... because Im not sure.

My first thought was that the reference is 1% ... so as long as your "somewhat" was less than 1% then OK.

The reason I was hoping someone would answer is that Im not an analog guy.... however, I know that the SAR sequencer has a sample and hold circuit... so there might be something to do with the input impedance of that circuit and the output impedance of your circuit.

I suspect that you were onto the right reason with the input voltage being near 0... but im not at all sure... which again is the reason I was hoping to see a real answer.

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I wonder which tool you are using...

If you are using PSoC Creator, ADC's reference is set in the ADC Config's Vref select

And I think you are selecting VDDA or VDDA/2, whose value changes when VDDA voltage changes.

001-ADC_Config1.JPG

If you select system bandgap, the reference voltage should be stable

when VDD/VDDA changes.

But you must make sure that ADC's input voltage is in the range of 0~1.2V.

002-ADC_bandgap.JPG

If you are using ModusToolbox,

in the main.c of  ADC_basic example ADC configure is done as below

/* Default ADC configuration */
const cyhal_adc_config_t adc_config = {
        .continuous_scanning=false, // Continuous Scanning is disabled
        .average_count=1,           // Average count disabled
        .vref=CYHAL_ADC_REF_VDDA,   // VREF for Single ended channel set to VDDA
        .vneg=CYHAL_ADC_VNEG_VSSA,  // VNEG for Single ended channel set to VSSA
        .resolution = 12u,          // 12-bit resolution
        .ext_vref = NC,             // No connection
        .bypass_pin = NC };       // No connection

Here, vref is also set to VDDA, if you want to use System Bandgap,

change CYHAL_ADC_REF_VDDA to CYHAL_ADC_REF_INTERNAL.

This value is defined in cyhal_adc.h

/** Possible selections for ADC reference */
typedef enum
{
    CYHAL_ADC_REF_INTERNAL,     //!< Internal reference. See the BSP documentation for the value of this reference. (Default)
    CYHAL_ADC_REF_EXTERNAL,     //!< Reference from external pin.
    CYHAL_ADC_REF_VDDA,         //!< Reference from VDDA (analog supply)
    CYHAL_ADC_REF_VDDA_DIV_2,   //!< Reference from VDDA (analog supply) divided by 2
} cyhal_adc_vref_t;

moto

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Paul,

Will you be able to share the code on how you have configured the ADC. The bandgap reference is not expected to vary with VDDA. One more additional question I have is that , what is the source of the shunt resistor ? Is it somehow related to VDDA ?

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes

Hi Vasanth and all,

In PSoC Creator, I have set Aref to Local 1.2V.  But since I am using a PSoC63 in which the M0+ core is locked down, it is possible that the M0+ code set it differently, but I doubt it.  The supplier says that my Design Wide Resources settings would override theirs.

I don't think Aref is set to VDDA or VDDA/2 because, if it were so, I would expect my readings to decrease as VDDA increases (signal becomes smaller with respect to VDDA).  Instead, readings increase in value as VDDA rises.

I should point out that I am using two different ADC configurations.  Configuration 0 is a differential measurement across a 6 Ohm resistor.  The negative input is near Vss at measurement time.  Configuration 1 is a single-ended input to measure VDDA.  In this configuration, I can measure up to 2.4V.

Periodically, the ADC is set to config 1 and VDDA measurement is done.  After that, the ADC is switched to config 0 and the differential measurement is made.  Many samples are summed over a 50 ms interval.

Is it possible that there is some "carry over" from config 1 into config 2?  Is there some minimum wait time before using a new ADC configuration?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul

0 Likes