problem programming CY8C20447

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I am tyring to use ISSP programming to program CY8C20447 using MiniProg1. MiniProg is not recognizing the device. I get the message: FAILED! Can not Acquire Device! Please verify the device connection to the Programmer Please, check the following items: - the connection between the programmer and the PSoC; - the correct programming protocol is selected; - the correct connector option is selected. Attatched you'll see the design (the same from the design guide) I'm testing. I tried to power the circuit from Miniprog and externally (power cycle and reset). One strange thing I've noticed is that XRES signal has 3,1 V. I would expect 5V. May be my miniprog is damaged? It's brand new (first experience with Cypress) Thanks, Xavier   
0 Likes
24 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The XRes pin is active-high, internal pull down.

So without your Miniprog you'll measure something near 0V on the corresponding ISSP - pin or something with your board or PSoC is amiss. Measure an empty board or another virgin one.

When the Miniprog pulls the XRES high and does not release it there must be something darn wrong with the Miniprog.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Thanks Bob, I have a pulse high of 3,1V of amplitude. It seems right except for the level.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I have tested an empty board and the level is the same: 3,1-3,2 V   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I assume in settings screen of programmer you have selected 5V ?

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, you're right. In fact I can't change this option (see attached image). I have a C3217 Miniprog1 programmer kit. It's my first experience with PSOc and it's being frustrating. It must be something "silly" but I've tested three boards with the same result.   
0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Attatched you'll see the programmer window when it get's "hanged" (BUSY)   
0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 10 solutions authored
        Is your board already powered when you plug in the MiniProg? Did you try Reset programming? -Arvind   
0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
        Also, which board are you using for the CY8C20xxx device?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi atreiu, Did you try Reset mode and Power Cicle mode. When Reset mode you must supply Vdd voltage. I had been programming of Cy8C21434 that similar as C20447. I didn't miss by using MiniProg1 and PC Bridge Programmer. You have to Rise a issue to Cypress MyCase.   
0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, Arvi and PSoC73. Thanks for your answers. I tried both Reset mode and Power Cycle mode (supplying external power in the first case) My design is exactly a Cypress schematic from the design guide (see attached)   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi arvi-san, It's been for awhile. Please give me a Hex code of Kit3270 PC-Bridge. It's need for back up of it.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I am looking over your design. Just slightly care about, that is ISP-SCL and SCK. That is P1[5] and P1[7], P1[7] is connected to capacitor via resister. Would you change it to use a Jumper and switch it ISP and Cap-sense. huh?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi arvi, I have one question. When in this case, Needs pull up resistor for SCL and SDA?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It comes up.

Some kinda ISP of PSoC is need pull up resister.

some kinda I2C type PSoC, for example C21434 or CyRF-PSoC.

Look at this schematic, SCL and SDA has pulled up,

Just same as C20447, P1[5] and P1[7].

This is C21434.

Would you try this?

Schematic of C21434

insamp1.JPG

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi PSoC73, thanks for the answer. In fact I have a 10K pull up in both SCL and SDA. If I see the signals in an oscilloscope the shape is right, but I think the levels aren't (see attachment). I get the same result (and signals) powering from the programmer and externally. In the power pin of the programmer there's 5,09 Volts, but SCL and SDA are smaller.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Smaller but not bad I think. Would you use 2.2Kohm for it. It does in the schematic.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi PSoC73, I was following your advice reducing the pull-ups (even though I didn't believe in results, as the shape was good... what did't fit was the level). Before changing the resistor array, I tried to program without any pull-up and surprise! It works now. What's still a mystery is the signal levels: SCL = 3,3 V and SDA = 3V. The miniprog is 5V, and the power pins have this voltage. Shoudn't be this pins 5V wide, as the microcontroller power supply and the Miniprog specification output power? Regards   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Honesty to say, I DISLIKE I2C, Why use it for peer to peer connection so far. I think it is not reliable, cause of 3-state handling. SPI or UART is more stable.   
0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
        Hey folks, Please note that ISSP protocol is different from I2C. I2C drivemodes are Open drain pull up, where-as during programming it is Strong drive (while sending data to host) and Resistive pull down mode (for LOW). Having I2C pull-ups on the ISSP lines will affect programming. If this design cannot be avoided, you have to work around by adding pulldown resistors on the programmer, so that only during programming the levels of the lines are in the correct range. This appnote is a good reference for PSoC 1 programming - http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2726   
0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
        PSoC73, please share your mail id, for me to share the file you requested   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Wow Arvi, it's really very clear in this AN: "Due to internal pull-down resistor (5.6 K) on SDATA line, the presence of external pull-up resistors on the SDATA line might cause the host to miss the high to low transition on the target device due to resistive voltage divider. It is not recommended to use external pull-up resistors on the SDATA line due to this reason" If it is a problem I should then choose P1[5] and P1[7] as the I2C pins in the UM. Thanks everybody.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Arvi-san, Thank you. A good document for programming that will be helpful. And you are willing to share that file it is I have to appreciate. I find some reason to able to get those file. 1) I have Kit3270, Kit3271 and others, so need to back up bridge-hex. so I could change and maintain it. 2) Bridge source code was disclosed as Cy3240 bridge kit, so it is no secret any longer. (but this is different with Kit3270 a little) I thought you can access my acount, but it was wrong. OK, Please share with this address [ hillbilliebill@gmail.com ] Thank you so much.   
0 Likes
DineshbabuM_66
Employee
Employee
First like received

Hi, This knowledgebase article discusses the effect of external pull up on ISSP lines and the possible workarounds.

http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=37644

0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee

Hello PSoC73-san,

First of all, apologies for the delay. I should've replied earlier, but I lost track of this thread.

Bad news if that CY3270 firmware did have some issues, and some refinement needed in the userguide. Good news is that we are working to fix this and updating the userguide to make the documentation easier to read and understand the hardware.

That being said, this CY3270 is an old kit. There are several other kits better suited to do programming (ISSP) like MiniProg1, MiniProg3 and USB-I2C like CY3240 and MiniProg3.

We sincerely recommend these newer devices which have better hardware and firmware to function as programmers or communication bridges.

0 Likes