kitprog and bootloader

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BrKo_3931586
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First solution authored

I have many kitprog (ver1) from ther CY8CKIT-059,  These have been broken off from the kit.  The kitprog does not have connectivity to the SWD or JTAG pins, so the only method of programming the kitprog is by using the bootloader installed from the programmer.  As custom bootloader may resolve my issue below but I can't change the bootloader.

The issue is I can successfully bootload host a custom program many times successfully, but then later when adding functionality to the bootloadable program I get an bootloader host downloading issues that prevent downloading.

I am assuming the original kitprog has not been verified correctly and there is an incompatibility. I do have a couple questions that maybe someone can answer that has been though this issue,

I am using the kitprog hardware (not 2) with the latest software 2.2.1  The cy9ckit-059 says this needs to be 2.20 or later.  The documents for the original kitprog user manual (ver-I 2018) says the bootloadable needs to start its program at 0x0002800.  However the newest kitprog2 user manual has the starting address for bootloadables at 0x0003200.  Is it possible to findout the flash size of the locked part for kitprog and kitprog2?

This value is need to use the kitprog for custom applications, but only cypress has accessibility to the kitprog and kitprog2 source.

Brian

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the good advice and links.

I much prefer this solution of using my own bootloader than trying to use the preprogrammed kitprog software.

I do own a miniprog, and I don't mid soldering to the one easy pad for xres.  If fact for my first debugging I soldered to the actual swd pins, but I don't want to have to ever do that again.

I really need to carefully read your startup sequence in the second link if I am going to avold the soldering, but this will require more investigation due to programming timing and parallel gates issues.

So using your first link and miniprog4 and a simple test fixture I was able to program my bootloader on the first try.

Thanks

Brian

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello Brian.

I can't answer your questions directly, but I can tell you that it is possible to re-program the bootloader (or a non-bootloadable) into original Kitprog.  I do it all the time (using another Kitprog as programmer, since I don't have Miniprog).  Here's how.

You can program PSoC 5LP via USB pcb connections, since these share an alternate function of SWD signals.  Access to XRES is still required (solder 5LP XRES pin to fine wire).  Or, you implement Power Cycle reset.

Here's a thread where another user re-used USB connections to program Kitprog 5LP.  And that's what I did too.
https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Convert-Kitprog1-into-Kitprog2/m-p/1...

Now, let's say you don't want to solder a wire onto XRES, then you can use the Power Cycle method of resetting 5LP.  I wrote an article on how to do this for PSoC 4000, and it works on 5LP also.
Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without... - Cypress Developer Community
I've always used the 74AC14 invertors to give lots of current.  I know PSoC 4xxx can be programmed directly off Kitprog XRES output signal because 4xxx is so low current.  I suspect 5LP could also be programmed off Kitprog XRES without the invertors.

Just like you, I ended up with a bunch of Kitprog's and wanted to re-use them.  And I do.

Good luck with your re-programming.

edit:  Oops.  I forgot (it's been a while).  You can access XRES by soldering a wire to a component pad.  You don't need to solder a wire directly to 5LP package pin.  Just follow the picture in the 1st weblink above (and don't worry about performing Power Cycle).

0 Likes

Thanks for the good advice and links.

I much prefer this solution of using my own bootloader than trying to use the preprogrammed kitprog software.

I do own a miniprog, and I don't mid soldering to the one easy pad for xres.  If fact for my first debugging I soldered to the actual swd pins, but I don't want to have to ever do that again.

I really need to carefully read your startup sequence in the second link if I am going to avold the soldering, but this will require more investigation due to programming timing and parallel gates issues.

So using your first link and miniprog4 and a simple test fixture I was able to program my bootloader on the first try.

Thanks

Brian

0 Likes

Hi Brian.

Good to hear you had success.
It's pretty amazing some of the things you can do with 5LP.  Can't let a Kitprog 5LP go to waste.

Bill

0 Likes