how to convert high decimal values into binary code and show them with sprintf ??

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys,

I need to convert some hugh values (~120000) into binary code. Unfortunately this only works if my value is 1023 or less.

Does anyone have an idea? Is something wrong with the conversion or just with the sprintf? I tried to change the argument %... of sprintf but no success.

long   num, decimal_num, remaind, base =1, binary =0; 

num= 1023;
    decimal_num = num;
    while (num>0)
    {
        remaind = num %2;
        binary = binary + remaind * base;
        num = num/2;
        base=base*10;
    }
    sprintf(TransmitBuffer, "real_comb_binary: %ld \n", binary);
    UART_1_PutString(TransmitBuffer);

Thanks in advance,

Alex

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

With num = 1023 the result will be a number with 10 digits which is near the capacity of a long (better use int32). you may use uint64

but the problem will remain the same, end will be a million.

Why don't you use %b format in sprintf?

Converting a binary into a decimal is only needed when you want to print it as a string, so why not converting into a character string?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

A million would be enough for me, but with int32, 1023 is also the limit. And I cant find any argument for int64 which is accepted by Creator.

The format %b is also not working.

I dont want to convert binary into decimal, I want to convert decimal into binary.

What do you mean by character string? I want to calculate some other things with my binary number in the end.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

All (most) numbers represented in a µProcessor are in hexadecimal. Only when communicating with one of us humans a conversion is needed. Human readable are ASCII characters only where the digits "0" to "9" are represented by the values 0x30 to 0x39 or 48dec to 57dec. So a number represented by a string of digits must be converted to the internal hex representation.

Where do the numbers come from you want to convert?

There are of course C-functions or macros for conversion like atii() and scanf(), have a look into a C-manual like this one.

What do you mean with " I cant find any argument for int64 which is accepted by Creator."?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the link, I will have a look after lunch.

My numbers are real and imaginary part of a measured impedance. But the numbers have to be converted into twos complement. Therefore I need to convert my decimal value into binary, invert every 0 to 1 and every 1 to 0 and then sum a one (this is the procedure to convert a number into twos complement) Works fine with a pencil and a paper, but I am stuck at the conversion into binary. 

Since it worked for values up to 1023 I thought it might be a problem with the value-size. but int32 also doesnt work.

By "argument" I mean the "%" in sprintf. For int I use "%d" and for int32 I use "%ld", but I cant find anything for int64.
Maybe its worth a try to increase the size of the value once more.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Bob, but your link wasnt helpfull for me 😞

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Two's complement schau mal bei Google

The required inverting of all the bits can be made using the unary "~" operator. Then just add 1

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I found an unconventional method which is working nicely.

Because I just need to convert 16 bit values, where the 16th bit is set, the following method is appropriate:

value -65536 (1000000000000000 binary) = value in twos complement.

Sounds weird, but it is working 😉

0 Likes