frequency generator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very new to embedded programming.  I have the CY8CKIT -014 First Touch Starter Kit and have been working through the projects in an effort to get somewhat familiar with PSoC on-chip architecture and the Creator software.  I would like to develop a frequency generator but i need help.

Can someone help me understand which components are needed to do this?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, the snap-shot was not attached in the previous post. Hence, attaching the file.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gube,

Welcome to the fascinating world of PSoC!

There are different ways in which you can generate signals.

Let me ask you some questions:

1) What kind of waveforms do you intend to generate? Sinusoidal / Square / Triangular / Ramp..?

2) What is the frequency of the signal?

Ideally, when you want waveforms such as sine, you can use a predefined Look Up table and update the Voltage Digital to Analog Converter (VDAC) with these values. The transfer of values from the table to VDAC can be done using a Direct Memory Access (DMA).

The rate of update determines the frequency of the waveform. The values in the LUT will determine the shape of the waveform and the range of the values in the LUT will determine the amplitude of the waveform.

0 Likes

hello, do you have any sample project of this , like from lut to dma and then dma to vdac . please 

thanks 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is a component named WAVEDAC8 which you have to search for and add it like the documentation shows. This component has the ability to generate any wave-output you like.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a one stop solution!

You can find the application note on WaveDAC8 Component here

The basics about DMA will help you get going. The application note on DMA shows an example of sine wave generation using Look up table. This can be found here

The snap-shot below shows the schematic of this project.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, the snap-shot was not attached in the previous post. Hence, attaching the file.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys.  I haven't been successful in my searches for a download.  I have found and read the documentation that is provided but can't figure out how to get the component.  It can't be that difficult but just like a good bug, it's eluding me!  

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Its easy! you have the right URL from the last post. Download the PDF, download the zip and extract to a new directory.

Now look at page 11 of the PDF, it shows step-by-step how to install the WAVEDAC8 component for your project.

Happy reading!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I failed to answer the initial question...
I want to produce DTMF frequency pairs. I believe that means I need to produce sinusoidal sign waves.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob. Boy do I feel sheepish! I just didn't go far enough in my readings. I could blame it on too much Jolt or too many marathon programming sessions but the fact is I just goofed. Thanks again

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

You can also look here for a more complete solution (it's still a Creator 1.0 project, I did not come around to update it): http://www.cypress.com/?rID=50106&cache=0