UART in PSoC5 (newbie)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There,

I'm just starting evaluation of PSoC5 with the Development Kit CY8CKIT-050.

I opened the ADC_DAC sample application that displays an 8bit pot position on the LCD. I now would like to communicate this value in binary over RS232 to a terminal application. So I grabbed a UART and dropped it on my sheet, I configured baudrate, stopbit and parity and added UART_Start(); and then UART_PutString("Hello World!\r\n"); after that. However, when I reset my dev kit, nothing appears in the terminal.

On the schematic design, the rx and tx pins were automatically wired up to Rx_1 and Tx_1 which I assume are the Rx and Tx that are routed to the 9pin d-sub connector .

Any hints would be appreciated, Thank you!

Ron

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

with the 050 kit,you'll need to add wires from your assigned TX,RX pins to the 4 pin "RX-TX-CTS-RTS" pads/headers.

Hope this helps 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ron,

As kmmankad has suggested, it is necessary to connect externally with wires, the Rx_1 and Tx_1 pins to the Rx and Tx headers respectively on the left side of the prototype area.

The pins which are mapped to Rx_1 and Tx_1 can be configured in the "Pins" tab of the .cydwr file to select appropriate port pins according to your requirement . Configure the Hyperterminal such that the baud rate, data bits, parity and flow control is same as that of the UART in PSoC.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heh, okay, that would also explain why I couldnt' find anything on the schematics...

I soldere two wires on there and it works just fine now. Thanks for the hint! I thought it might be wired up already and I just can't find it...

Thanks a lot guys!

0 Likes