Sigma Delta Converter On Top

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Through some option exploring, I attempted the use of both the PSOC's internal and TI serial based ADS7818 converters. I started messing with the Sigma Delta converter and concluded its noise immunity suits my application best.

Therfore, I can sample at a lower rate, average less, and use less memory when transmitting samples over UARTs.

The one drawback is the PSOC 5 only has 1 Sigma Delta converter, and I need to monitor two shunts. There is a sequencing SAR converter, but no sequencing Sigma Delta. An app note I found suggested using the analog mux.

The attached project shows how I implemented it. I am receiving an asynchronus path warning. I am thinking using a clock to control the select object is not the best idea? Prior to every edge of the ACLK, the mux alternates between channels 0 and 1. The DMA thus stores every other sample as one shunt's reading, and the other offset, the other shunt. Is there a better way of sequencing? Despite the warning, the system appears to be working, but I may be paying some kind of noise penalty.

0 Likes
5 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I got rid of the clock error per below -

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Please check your exact required clock frequencies, they are based on 24.000 MHz, so your values cannot be generated

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tweaked the sampling and exact clock frequencies. It even lowered the noise floor. The standard deviation I am now getting is around 2 with the inputs shorted.

It seems to be working like it is supposed to. I now have to wait for my other chips to come in to verify functionality for shunt number 2.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Fractional clock dividers in PSOC 4 -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=81383

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Scratch my previous post, not applicable to PSOC 5LP.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes