Serial In Parallel Out Shift register using a LUT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I am trying to implement a SIPO shift register using a LUT. Has anyone done this before? I have looked at the document by Xilinx

www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp465.pdf

I do not want to use the Shift register provided in PSoC Creator because the output is only accessible using DMA or CPU but i want to access it in hardware because i need to act on the actually bits to be shifted out.

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

It would be better to use  verilog-programming. Attached is a simple example.

Create a new component and use it. there are some videos on constructing components using verilog, have a look at this thread http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2492&rID=41954

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

It would be better to use  verilog-programming. Attached is a simple example.

Create a new component and use it. there are some videos on constructing components using verilog, have a look at this thread http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2492&rID=41954

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

.. and here is a project for the PSoC5 FirstTouch kit with a parallel in and parellel out shift register (no datapath) programmed in Verilog.

Have fun

Bob

crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I would concur, 

verilog is likely the way to go. Its pretty much like C anyhow. Or maybe I'm just on a hardware kick.

programming the datapath is a little more involved than just the verilog; I think mostly because it involves thinking about programing in parallel (and a couple extra registers and instructions), but a shift register in the datapath is pretty straight forward. Somehow after a bit of trial and error, I did manage to get a 32 bit input shift register using one 8 bit datapath that loaded the 4 bytes into one of the FIFO. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

could you share how you achieved the 32bit SR in datapath?

0 Likes
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

My code is a disaster (there are more debug wires and registers than actual wires and registers needed), but essentially I had:

input serial clock wire

input serial data wire

enable

Datapath was set up to shift left (or right as you wish) with a serial input, and clocked on the serial clock.

I set up a  down counter in verilog to count 8 clocks -- first I did a verilog down counter, then I used an instance of the count_7 (both worked, just use resources differently). The output of this counter would go high for one clock of the input serial clock, and this would trigger a capture to the F0 (clocked in fast mode, edge sensitive). Fifo can hold up to 4 values, then CPU or DMA can deal with a union. 

You can do all this without verilog and wiring up the standard components too, though I did have trouble figuring out how to get that last shifted value captured (needed just one more clock edge).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maduna,

I see your post below on the SIPO shift register. I faced the same issue that the standard PSoC Creator component only allowed access of the output through CPU or DMA. As you said i want to access the received serial bits and act on the bits to be shifted out.

Did you have a solution already as a component. Can you please post it.

Best Regards

Robin

Hi

I am trying to implement a SIPO shift register using a LUT. Has anyone done this before? I have looked at the document by Xilinx

www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp465.pdf

I do not want to use the Shift register provided in PSoC Creator because the output is only accessible using DMA or CPU but i want to access it in hardware because i need to act on the actually bits to be shifted out.

Regards

0 Likes
lock attach
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Seems to me you can use verilog.

See attached project, but a big warning it is UNTESTED.

module shifter (
    output [7:0] parallel_out,
    input   clock,
    input   enable,
    input   reset,
    input   shift_in
);

//`#start body` -- edit after this line, do not edit this line
    reg    [7:0] tmp;
    always @(posedge clock or posedge reset)
        begin
            if (reset) tmp <= 7'b0;
            else tmp <= {tmp[6:0], shift_in};
        end

assign parallel_out = tmp;

//`#end` -- edit above this line, do not edit this line
endmodule