Psoc5 DMA 64K page limit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning everyone from Spain,

Here's a tricky problem, I need to fill (nearly) an 8Mbit RAM (1Mx8) with incoming ADC data before processing it. As I was reading the DMA specs, it seems that there's a 64K page limit, ie the 16 higher bits don't get increased when the lower 16 bits roll from FFFF to 0000.

Is there an efficient way to overcome this?? I have though of a HW solution which could be nice, I prefer not to use interrupts... but hey maybe someone can come up with a better solution!

Regards,

0 Likes
4 Replies
ViDv_264506
Level 5
Level 5
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 5 solutions authored

Hi Enrique33,

to find and test the solution I need to know the connection of your 8Mbit RAM (1Mx8). Please can you publish your schematics.

Regards, 

Viktor

Enrique33 posted on 11 Apr 2014 12:20 AM PST 
3 Forum Posts

Good morning everyone from Spain,

Here's a tricky problem, I need to fill (nearly) an 8Mbit RAM (1Mx8) with incoming ADC data before processing it. As I was reading the DMA specs, it seems that there's a 64K page limit, ie the 16 higher bits don't get increased when the lower 16 bits roll from FFFF to 0000.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

First note: the DMA can do only 4095 bytes (yes, thats right, its not 4096...) per single transaction. So you need to handle that first.

To get more than 64k of transfer, you can used an indexed / chained DMA configuration: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=39408&cache=0

That way you can modify the TD automatically.

hli

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

dvorakvik, the schematic is pretty simple, an aynchronous EMIF component (24 bit addr, 8 bit data),an external SRAM 1Mx8,  and an external 8 bit ADC connected to a Psoc Port.

I'll have to look more deeply into it but the Indexed DMA will probably do.

thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I right -- indexed DMA is impossible on PSOC5 in a single TD chain when destination is SRAM, since HI16 of SRAM address and TD (0x400..... base) address is different? 

0 Likes