Programming issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I have the CY8CKIT-059, but I have had some troubles programming it through both PSOC programmer AND creator.

First thing of cause : I updated the firmware - no problem, but when i tried to program it - it said that it could not acquire SWD mode - so after pressing the reset button a few times - which turned the board LED off for 0.5 sec, then I ended up keeping it pressed until the programmer flashed  few times - and now I can't even see the KitProg in PSOC Programmer - it appears as a KitProg USB device, but not visible in the programming software (PROGRAMMER or CREATOR) ?

What to do? I have a final project hand in by December 19, so pretty stressed that it just stopped working >_<

Kind regards,

Morten Skelmose

0 Likes
1 Solution
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received
        I think your setup is okay. No issue with the program pins. Now that the new 5lp is working it appears that your orginal board lost it's bootloader. I had a similar issue with a PSOC 4 pioneer board. It wouldn't program and I had to restore the bootloader. I am glad your issue is resolved.   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
19 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Press the kitprog button for 10s and it will show up again. There is a manual for the kitprog where this is described.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!

It came back - but still says:

Program Finished at 15:40:31 :
FAILED! Can not acquire device in SWD mode!                                                                  | 
Please, check the following items: 
- the connection between the programmer and the PSoC; 
 - the correct programming protocol is selected; 
 - the correct connector option is selected.

in PSOC Programmer 😞

Kind regards,

Morten

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Read the kitprog manual, for PSoC5 there is a memory mode to program the chip.

When I am not totally wrong the programming seemingly works, but attach to debugging fails. How long is the connection between Kitprog and -059 (if you broke the connection) are you using ports P1_0 or P1_1 ?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks again! I will take a look at the manual. 

I am not using P1_0  or P1_1.

Well, the connection don't really start - it immediately gives the error message.

/Morten

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I would suggest you to get in contact with Cypress directly: At top of this page select "Design support -> Create a Support Case" and ask your question. You will be helped by a Cypress engineer.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much - I will try an do that 🙂

Kind regards,

Morten Skelmose

0 Likes
pushekm_21
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 5 likes given First like received

Are you trying to program the PSoC 5LP device, which comes by default on the CY8CKIT-059, or connecting some other device?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to program the board that comes with the CY8CKIT-059 - I have just snabbed the two apart.

/Morten

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Have you updated the Programmer? What version of PsoC Creator are you using? Are you using windows ? What version of windows?  Have you updated the Devices folder in the Programming directory. Can you see the KitProg in the device manager.  You may have lost the bootloader on your board.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bobgoar,

1: Yes, I have updated the programmer firmware

2: PSOC Creator 3.3

3: Yes, windows 10.

4: Hmm - don't know.

5: Yeah - I can still press "Upgrade Firmware" - succesfully

Kind regards,

Morten

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

The issue might be with Programmer installation. Can you please check if the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\Devices present inside the PSoC Programmer installation Directory. If it is existing Kindly let us know the size of this folder. If this folder is not existing, kindly try to Copy the same folder from another system and paste it inside the PSoc Programmer installation folder.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bibgoar,

The size of the divices folder is : 186 KB (190.545 bytes)

and "Size on disk" is : 308 KB (315.392 bytes)

contains 116 files.

Kind regards,

Morten

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Can you upgrade  your PSoc Creator to 4.0 This may help the issue. Also please send a picture of the snap off board and how you are connecting it to the PSoc 5lp board.  Your Device size agrees with my information on the Device folder. When you install the 4.0 you will reinstall all of the necessary folders.  Also please send your program so we can check the settings.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bobgoar,

I have installed PSOC Creator 4.0 with no change at all. So now I have a new CY8CKIT-059 arriving today, which hopefully will end the problems 🙂

I've attached an image of the snabbed board 🙂

Kind regards

Morten Skelmose

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh - sorry for the tilted image!

Here's the program bundle

Morten

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I just received the new CY8CKIT-059, and it worked right away - so not sure where the problem is - I haven't updated the new programmer with the newest firmware either.

Thank you all for your help and comments! Still, it could be fun to know why the other one stopped working.

Kind regards,

Morten Skelmose

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
        I think your setup is okay. No issue with the program pins. Now that the new 5lp is working it appears that your orginal board lost it's bootloader. I had a similar issue with a PSOC 4 pioneer board. It wouldn't program and I had to restore the bootloader. I am glad your issue is resolved.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 🙂

When my final project is done, I might test and see if I can snap the new KitProg and use it on the old board 🙂

Cheers!

Morten

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new microcontroller worked like a charm - so probably the bootloader or the programmer was broken in the old kit - I still have to try to see if it can be programmed with the new programmer.

Thanks for all your help!! 

Cheers - and happy new year!

Morten

0 Likes